Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix vs. Xxxxx?

Re: Chamonix vs. Xxxxx?

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Greg,
    Great feedback. Thank you. I literally just need to stop looking for greener grass and pull the trigger!!

I've got to sell off a few pieces of gear and I'll be good to go.

Thx!!
    Adam
    I don’t mean to stop you on your way to a Chamonix, I own one myself with pleasure. But it’s better to know the market before you buy instead of afterwards. I wonder if you have seen Gibellini, quite a special manufacturer and although not in wood, they have many options in modern technology including a 3d printed 4x5”.
    https://www.gibellinicamera.com/product/black-swan-45/

YES!! That's the whole point of this thread!!!

I'm looking for an alternative or a better option than the Chamonix F2.

So far, the ones that have caught my eye are the Arca-Swiss F-Line and the Linhof Technikardan.

I'll check into Gibellini now. Thanks!!

They're very pretty, although the 3D printed ones aren't quite as nice looking in my opinion. But I would strongly suggest you search the forums for posts related to them-- I've seen a number of complaints about quality control and support.

I looked at their site. While I think the concept is totally cool and it's awesome seeing new designs coming out, still I don't see a compelling lure to them over the Chamonix F2.

To me this is all about capabilities for $$ spent. Quality of those capabilities is another story.... But still, thanks for the tip.

There is no perfect camera. I do like working with my ChamonixF2. If I would have to name its imperfection it is stability and its aptness to bear heavy lenses. But with this camera I can make nice outdoor shots when it’s not too stormy. And I do come home with them, whereas with a sturdy monorail I wouldn’t have made them at all because of weight and the light having changed before I’m ready to shoot. A camera should not give you a too high threshold to go out and shoot, one second thought is enough. What surprised me a bit of all the Gibellini’s is their weight, they are all still relatively heavy for all that modern technology.

Small town, South Carolina, US

As otto.f says above: "There is no perfect camera." All are compromises of one kind or another. Currently, I use in 4x5 a Busch Pressman (with working rangefinder), Sinar F2, and a Wanderlust Travelwide. The point is that depending on the situation I have a choice - and none of these were costly to purchase.

Very few here have one camera and most have plenty

Studio cameras remain cheap
    Tin Can

Question of experience using a view camera and images made is a significant factor in camera choice. Based on image goals, optics required to meet these image goals and experience-demands-expectations of the image maker figures into camera choice. For those who take their view camera on extended trips backpacking into the wilderness away from civilization for days on end, a lightweight folder with lightweight lens set, graphmatic film holders, minimal supporting accessories is likely the ideal choice. For an image maker creating technically demanding images a field folder will come up totally inadequate for these image making task. Other factors will be experience, expectations, and demands of the view camera image user. This comes up as a more significant factor based on the individual image maker's abilities, and demands from any view camera and all related.

IMO, the obsession over the first view camera is not worthy as it is nothing more than a light tight box that is flexi in the center with one end that supports a lens and the other end that support an image recording device. The more important objective is to learn how to view camera and the skill set required to make expressive images using a view camera. This fact renders the camera and in many ways initial lens choice mostly irrelevant as learning and acquiring these skills are a LOT more important. Funds are far better spent on film and film processing than obsessing on hardware choices.

There is NO ideal view camera for all image making needs in the same way as NO ideal lens that can meet all image making needs and NO single film, film processing, print making that is ideal for all needs... There are only shades of gray. .... And the Best Foto hardware often does not make a better or more expressive image as only the image maker can use these tools as a means to visual expression.

Bernice

Bernice,

If you were directing your last comment to the OP (me), this would be my second camera. It would be my first larger investment in LF though.

And guy, I totally get it that there's no perfect camera. I totally get that. I'm just trying to learn from you all (very effectively) what other options were out there that could compeat with the Chamonix F2 in terms of it's capabilities, weight, movements, quality....

Through this crew of participants, I have come up with two good answers: the Arca-Swiss F-Line and Linhof Technikardan.

I think I may have found the F-Line at a good price.

Is the F-Line there perfect camera? No. It has a bigger footprint in a backpack, its heavier and to achieve the same bellows range of lenses with good movements actually requires two sets of bellows (wide and standard).

But, there are advantages too.

Thanks for the help figuring it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Is the F-Line there perfect camera? No. It has a bigger footprint in a backpack, its heavier and to achieve the same bellows range of lenses with good movements actually requires two sets of bellows (wide and standard).

But, there are advantages too.
    Before I bought Chamonix F2 as an entry to 4x5, I was aiming at Arca Swiss F-line too. After navigating scarce - I am in the EU - second hand offers that all had some caveats I came to a conclusion that Arca is rather for pros and/or someone who is really in the budget to configure and buy it NEW and has good reasons to carry more bulk/weight. It has fantastic modular concept and selection of accessories, but everything is kind of a bit too beefy on the cost side. I thought, why bother if Chamonix is so accessible and - as you pointed out - lighter and more universal?

I went for the Chamonix and I love it. The biggest - and possibly the only - issue with it I see is fiddly front swing/shift movements fixed by one knob, but hey, that's where weight saving is coming from.