Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nuarc xeon printer, front shield?

Drew Wiley

Re: nuarc xeon printer, front shield?

You don't want any direct contact of the fabric with the unit; and the fabric itself should be fire-retardant.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I can remember the yard workmen sawing abestos stove board with a panel saw, with dust flying all over the place. Most died early of something else toxic or carcinogenic instead, like chlorinated phenols common in wood products back then too. And the manager died at only 42 of asbestosis due to working in a Certainteed asphalt shingle plant for only two years when he was younger. The asbestos is safely trapped in the shingle goo after manufacture, but during manufacture itself there was a substantial hazard to workers. Likewise, a co-worker whose brother who wore an asbestos fire suit in a powder coating plant, and then his wife, who did the laundry, died from asbestosis. Nasty stuff.
    I was always getting in trouble for allegedly dampening business by warning people to wear things like respirators, dust masks, and rubber gloves. Sound familiar? Anyway, modern stoveboard like Minarit is made from compressed mineral dust containing no asbestos fiber, mostly marble dust if my memory is still correct. I've used it for certain really high temp applications in high output colorheads. But for walls, FRP fiberglass panel is fine.
    Neither are easy to cut without the right kind of blade. For stoveboard you ideally need a circular saw microcrystalline diamond blade just like when cutting tile backer board. Festool recently came out with one which fits their own nearly dustless rail saw. FRP panel cuts best with certain Fein Multimaster blades, the best one being hard to find in this country. In fact, I don't know anyone who imported the correct blade except me. But there are some lesser options. You also need to lower the speed or the material melts and gums up the blade. Cutting it with a utility knife or scoring knife is a big headache if you need clean edges.
    Serious ventilation is always done with a remote pull fan and heat-resistant ducting. Real ones last a lifetime. PC fans are toys for toys.
    I like working with sheet metal. I'm going to make a panel for it from that. Black wood stove paint on the inside.

Cheers!

Drew Wiley

Correct. Real stove paint, or else high-temp engine paint. But sheet metal conducts heat, so be careful to allow space around that too.