Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
Hi Penguinoid.

I noticed you joined shortly before me and wish you a great time here. I've lived in several parts of London over the years, now in a leafy part in the south. No shortage of cityscape material, although that 5.9kg weight you mention limits mobility. I guess the lighter weight of the Intrepid will make that part easier for you.
Thanks! I used to live in south London too, but in a not-so-leafy part: Rotherhithe. I did live in Bromley for a bit too, though.

The lighter weight of the Intrepid is a big advantage. There are disadvantages too: it can be a bit difficult to lock down rigidly, and I can't change the bellows or add extension rails, both of which would be good. It was actually affordable (relatively speaking!), which is what allowed me to buy it in the first place.

Hope you have a great time on the forum too. Sorry I can't help with the query re Foma 200 film -- I've only used Foma 100 so far. I'm experimenting with rating that at ISO 80 to keep more highlight details.

Reciprocity failure seems to be a weak point with Foma film however -- at a certain point it just seems to fall off a cliff. A 1 sec exposure with Foma 100 actually ends up as 2 sec with reciprocity failure calculated in, while apparently a 30 sec exposure would end up as 5 min 47 sec(!!!). I'm using the Reciprocity+ iPhone app for this, which is pretty handy. This has the data for Foma 200 included, but obviously at EI 200, not EI 100. I honestly have no idea how pulling the film one stop would affect reciprocity failure. This post on another forum was about the only advice I could find, and it's not specific to Foma 200. It seems worth a read, however — there are a couple of useful replies. One suggests it won't have any affect, you just need to use the right amount of reciprocity correction for the exposure you've metered. Another suggests that it really needs trial and error to determine (but in more complex terms than that — it's worth reading).

Also, a factsheet from Ilford notes that:
You may also find that the contrast is increased withlong exposures. This is because of the light level difference in light levels between highlights and shadows in the image in effect giving different reciprocity failure within the image. If this occurs, then pulling the development may be required (reducing development time) but will depend on the range of light levels in the image.
Not sure if any of that is helpful....