Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: T Max 400 ULF- What Are You Waiting For?

T Max 400 ULF- What Are You Waiting For?

Matt,

8x10 is a standard Kodak size which we carry. The price of 8x10 from Kodak to dealers is lower than what it would cost to have it cut from the master roll. This is due to the economies of scale Kodak gets in cutting and boxing several master rolls at once of the same size. This is very cost efficient as 8x10 and 4x5 fit perfectly in the dimensions of a master roll and result in very little waste. Because we're cutting multiple sizes in relatively small quantities the cost per square foot of film is higher for these special cuts. So we would lose money trying to sell special cut 8x10 film at the going rate for 8x10 from the current vendors.

I had a talk with Kodak on Friday regarding the cutting. Using our initial projections of sizes and quantities they had a couple of engineers working for quite some time trying to map this all out in a manner that would be most efficient. It's interesting listening to the thought process that goes into making all the cuts required to turn almost a mile of film into little sheets.

John

This timing problem between the Iford and Kodak orders is difficult to deal with. At this point I would prefer to place a substantial order for the Kodak product, however if the deal does not go through then I have missed both the Kodak and Ilford order. I would like to suggest that Ilford extent the deadline on their order until after the deadline for the Kodak order. It doesn't seem to me that it should present any unsurmountable problems for Ilford to extend their offering for another couple of weeks. It has the potential to create a substantial increase in the size of their order if the Kodak deal doesn' work . If other members of this forum agree with me on this, maybe we can make a groug petition to Ilford.

I just happened to notice that Freestyle, one of the Ilford ULF outlets, is making an offer for a second run of Ilford ULF film in July for delivery in October. Maybe that relieves the pressure for those who want both types of film.

I hope this effort succeeds. However, I do have some concerns about how this effort has been handled. I have also been periodically accused of being biased against JandC and I would like to address this issue as well.

I helped promote the Ilford ULF effort because Ilford contacted me and provided me with the information about their film offering. Prior to the offering neither Kodak, Michael or JandC give me any advance notice at all. Ilford also mage their own efforts at publicizing their effort by contacting dealers and a variety of photo groups. To the best of my knowledge JandC made no such effort. Instead they have expected this entire effort, and the resulting financial commitment, to be carried by this forum and APUG. Now that this is not happening as quickly as they want guilt is being thrown around.IMHO this was naïve and unfair. Now, if this effort fails Kodak will come away thinking that the ULF community is not worth supporting. A much larger and more complete marketing plan should have been developed and carried out.

The fact is View Camera has made numerous efforts over the last year to communicate with Jand C to get info about their film offerings, quantities, etc. If anyone should be concerned about View Camera’s bias it should be Kodak, Fuji and Ilford because we work much harder and longer to get information out of Jand C than we do with them.

The large format community needs to work as a cohesive unit and not as a fractured set of parallel groups.

Just my thoughts

Steve simmons

That's a pretty deft kick to the goolies Steve. Bravo for not going along with all that wishy-washy let's all be friends milketoast nonsense. For a moment there I thought we were going to have a sensible and adult resolution of a delicate problem everyone would prefer did not exist.

I just think this effort could have been handled better to increase the liklihood for success. It is a professional disagreement. Nothing personal. No names were called, no locker room slurs, etc., etc. If this effort succeeds we are all better off.

steve simmons

If you go back Steve and look at prior posts on this subject that go back over a year, you will see that John and I have been very open and professional in letting everywhere on this forum and over at APUG know that we have been working very hard behind the scenes on this project.

As is always the case with highly entrupreunerial projects (trying to get Kodak to so something that has never been attempted let alone actually get it done) the probability of success is less than 1% until it actually comes to fruition. As a result, it did not make sense to prematurely get peoples hopes up until we had it all nailed down. In this regard, both the Kodak and Ilford deal were both common knowledge within the active internet discussion groups.

I will let John speak for himself in this regard but we felt that reaching to the ULF consumers directly along with personal calls to Fred Newman at the View Camera as a possible re-seller was the prudent and responsible thing to do. View Camera magazine is a highly delayed venue and not the place for time sensitive information of this nature because things can (and will) change on a dime. Plus we were being very respectful of the fact that you have a myriad of other things on your plate. Don't take it personally, we are reaching out in the best way we know how.

Cheers!

We are now carrying the Ilford special order ULF sheet film as an authorized Ilford ULF dealer.

http://www.jandcphoto.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=117&Page=1

Some additional sizes are included and the offer date has been changed to February 6th.

To those who were concerned that the T-max offer might not go through and then it would be too late to order the Ilford this is not an issue any more thanks to Ilford.

Update to the terms of the Ilford offer now officially posted here:

www.ilford.com/html/us_english/ILFOPRO/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7072

Wow, Ilford is offering about every size imaginable except 4x10. That does seem a bit strange as there are at least four companies currently making 4x10 cameras, but nobody currently making anything in several of the other sizes included in this offer. 4x10 holders are also adily available, in stock and affordable compared to other non-standard sizes.

It is also unfortunate for people like me who wish to use the same film to shoot multiple formats (4x10 and 7x17 in my case). I know I can cut my own down from 8x10, but since they are going to all the trouble to cut all these other sizes, I'd sure like to see them offer 4x10 so I don't have the hassle and potential for dust and scratching when cutting my own.

Kerry