Hi,
First off: I am a professional photographer who has based all his BW on Xtol, since the day it came out.
I mix in the same way (with distilled water) since that day, and have always produced crystal clear, consistent Xtol stock solution. Which I test every time by developing a 5x4 with a grey scale pattern.
Until now...
Since Xtol has changed packaging, and gone with the white plastic bag containing the 2 white plastic bags A &B... I have not been able to mix bag A in the prescribed initial 4L of water.
No matter how much I stir, there is always a powdery residue, which then sinks to the bottom of the bottles. Never seen that before.
But the problem is, when I use it to test develop my usual test negs, the result is a massively underdeveloped neg. the shadows not developed at all.
I thought it could be a batch issue. Indeed, Kodak UK refunded me assuming it was a batch issue. But now I have tried with different batches, and different providers (from different countries!) and again, the same issue.
This is pretty devastating for me as Xtol was at the basis of all my processes.
I have changed nothing. The issue started to appear with the new Xtol packaging... I have asked kodak if they changed the powder composition... no answer.
So, in desperation, I put out this notice.
HAS ANYONE HAD SIMILAR EXPERIENCES?
Look forward to hearing from you guys.