Hello!

I've been shooting a lot of medium format but I'm totally new to large format photography. My uncle sent me an old Crown Graphic from his collection. The spring back of the camera is missing some parts and the lens shutter was sticky at slow speeds. I was able to disassemble and CLA the lens and it's working now, so I think I can try making a photo today, which is really exciting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1846.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	207784

I have a few questions for the experts:

1. The back is missing the protective hood leaving the ground glass unprotected. What are my options? I didn't know about spring and graflok backs and bought a Graphmatic, which doesn't fit in the spring back due to its thickness. Is it possible to put a Graflok back from a different camera on this one? Maybe someone has some parts they'd like to sell? Or maybe I should just use this camera as-is with standard film backs while learning and buy a better camera later if I like it?

Name:	IMG_1847.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	207783

2. The range finder doesn't seem to work at all (the double image doesn't move while adjusting focus with the fine focus knobs). I probably won't be using it but I like fixing things and understanding how they work. I suspect the connection between it and the fine focusing mechanism. Is this an easy fix?

3. What is the deal with the rectangular wire framing guide that pops up from the front standard? It seems like it could only be accurate for some specific focal length lens and the camera doesn't have a site or viewfinder to position your eye. Is it just there on every graphic but not needed for this rangefinder model?

4. The focus distance guide that shows infinity, 100, 50, 25, ..., 6 does not seem to be correct for the 135mm lens that came with the camera. I focused it at 6 feet and then backed the subject off to 10 and 15 feet and the focus was not correct by the guide marks. Are they for some specific lens?

Name:	IMG_1849.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	207782

Thanks!
Sam