Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Photographers Notebook"

"Photographers Notebook"

How about if you are a pro and no desire to be a better shooter? Is that OK? Is it OK to be have an oversized ego snap shooter, so long as I shoot on the weekdays?

I see some interesting possibilities. If I manage to -- say -- sell a postcard or two, work on the weekdays, I can act however I want and be in your club. Cool.

"Photographers Notebook"

I haven't got my letter of acceptence yet. Can get in? Please??? Pretty please? I so want in!!!

"Photographers Notebook"

Richard,

I for one will miss your participation here. You went well out of your way to help me on numerous occassions with my aerial photography projects and I always learned a great deal from you, not only the nuts and bolts stuff, but "seeing." I've always enjoyed your posts along with those of Merg Ross and the late John Cook. Those are among the things I'm very grateful for---not only for the great photographic advice, but also for the opportunity to interact with real gentlemen.

I'll eagerly look foreward to your book/forum/blog/ homepage or whatever route you decide to continue to impart your knowledge by.

Happy Trails!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

"Photographers Notebook"

John Kasaian: Heck John, I'm not leaving forever. I just decided not to waste my time with my life story of failures and successes in the world of a professional. To long and to complicated. I may stick my head in here now and then, if I really need some important, mind numbing information like what adapter ring to use for a series eight step up.

Besides, who would be left to irritate psychos like "Mr. Bill"!

Cheers!!!!!

"Photographers Notebook"

I was really taken in by your post at first, but the more I read the angrier I got. I really hesitated writing this but......what the heck, yours is the most pompous post that I have read here in years.

Your words are lofty words but........I find some of your complaints about the forum disingenuous since 90% of your own posts are purely about techno speak. In addition (in case you are not aware of it) you write with a very condescending tone about "weekend" shooters who you have decided are not as serious about real photography as your "serious professionals" and "heavyweights all". Please, listen to yourself. You get challenged on this forum because of your condescending tone.

I only know of you through this forum since you have little presence on the web beyond your postings here and on PhotoNet. Of the few railroad images I find, a few are very beautiful but hardly in the spirit of "It's about seeing. Or as Shelly said , "Strip the Veil of Familiarity from the Commonplace". It's about seeing with new eyes. Not imitating someone else." Please, Shelly was a genious and a revolutionary artist. You make some fine images, but in a very traditional and conventional way of seeing. Get real.

As I have gotten older, I have learned one very important lesson. I have learned how little I actually know. While I strive to share my kwowledge with others here, I still learn allot from the weekend warriors who frequent and are the mainstay of this forum.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

"Photographers Notebook"

My reaction was close to Kirk's. I am a dilettante. Photography is primarily a hobby for me, and has been for over three decades. I have other interests that pay me decently for my labours. I don't think that being paid for your work has anything to do with how well one sees, or realises that vision.

This forum is primarily a textual medium. It is hard to discuss images when you have to switch between windows, not to mention the barely adequate rendition on a computer screen. It can be done, but it is not as convenient as a stack of prints and a gathering around the living room table. Which process I enjoy as often as possible.

Perhaps you do have a lot of knowledge, perhaps a lot of insight, too. This topic is not going to convince me of that. But that was not your intention.

"Photographers Notebook"

Richard:

It is indeed a sad state of affairs when one offering to share a lifetime of experience and ideas for free gets kicked in the teeth for making the offer. I for one would like to commend you for your generous offer.

Thank you,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

"Photographers Notebook"

Richard: If your just a hobbyist [...]

I have no time for weekend snap-shooters in LF who think there personal worth is their ego on internet postings. This is crap. I have not time for this. Serious professionals do not tolerate this kind of nonsense.

Oh, my! That's awfully lot of words for someone whose time is so precious as not to waste on people who photograph for the love of it, and not for money.

What was that you said about ego, again?

"Photographers Notebook"

And by the way, it is the weekend warriors who buy most of the LF products, fill the workshops, buy the books and purchase the images. They are the backbone of the medium and without whom there would be no "Large Format Community".
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

"Photographers Notebook"

I have always believed that my qualifications and experience should inform and shape my arguments, not seek to replace them. Longwindedly waving his CV and sense of self-belief at people - no less than three times - without actually saying anything substantial or even helpful is a sign that Richard feels differently. So be it.