Thread: Need Guidance on Getting a Sensitometer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need Guidance on Getting a Sensitometer

I have been reading the Kodak Basic Photographic Sensitometry Workbook H-740 and I think I am ready to start testing my film and developer combinations for creating a characteristic curve, determining D-min/D-max, Contrast Index, and exposure latitude.

I already have a solid process already in place with my densitometer where I can accurately determine the EI rating for any film and developer combo as well as the associated development times for N, N+, N-, etc. While it is possible to calculate effective film speed from the characteristic curve data, that is not in scope for me because of my existing process is very reliable.

My goal with the sensitometer in conjunction with the densitometer is to really compare same films in different developers and various films in the same developer to ultimately select the right films and developers that help me reach my personal creative vision.

While the exposure part can be done with an enlarger and electronic timer, a sensitometer just makes that part of the process fast, painless, and easy with 35mm roll film. I also think it is more consistent than using an enlarger too.

I would like to get a used sensitometer for testing B&W 35mm roll films.

Can someone with experience here in the group look at the available options on eBay and let me know what make and model sensitometer will work for testing black and white roll films?

I just want to make sure sensitometer that I get will allow me to create the characteristic curves as outlined in the Kodak workbook.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Larry
    Last edited by LFLarry; 6-Sep-2020 at 09:41. Reason: Making the post a little more clear to understand.