Thread: Carbon Transfer Print: A Larger Version

Carbon Transfer Print: A Larger Version

Re: Carbon Transfer Print: A Larger Version

Just about to pour six 12.5"x 19" tissues, but was 'wasting' time online as a batch of glop is on the magnetic stirrer before I start.

Always fun to see how others work. One fits the process with ones space and working conditions. I 'free-pour' (no frame to fence in the glop). I have three sheets of glass on my table with a sheet of 12.5"x19" Yupo on each. The batch on the stirrer will get filtered into three containers (about 290 ml each) and I'll pour one after the other, and let all three set-up before peeling them off the glass and hanging them up to dry.

Which I need to get to!

Great video!

Just poured the first three! On the table is the round bubble level and marble I use to level the glass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1002215.jpg   P1002216.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Completely lost all the information when you tried talking with the mask on.
    Also lost a lot when you had music on while talking.
    Possible for you to write what you were saying?

You sensitize with Acetone? Not Potassium dichromate? Or is it Ammonium dichromate?

Nice to see, nice image. Maybe a bit more explanation for those of us not all that familiar with the process?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Very good tutorial

From ALL previous demos, I considered it too difficult

Thank you
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Completely lost all the information when you tried talking with the mask on.
    Also lost a lot when you had music on while talking.
    Possible for you to write what you were saying?

You sensitize with Acetone? Not Potassium dichromate? Or is it Ammonium dichromate?

Nice to see, nice image. Maybe a bit more explanation for those of us not all that familiar with the process?
    It wasn't a "how to make carbon transfer" video. That wasn't the point of the video. Those more in depth videos are in my channel...
    No, I don't sensitise with Acetone. I dilute the sensitiser (Ammonium Di) with it. Some people use Isopropyl Alcohol instead, but I prefer Acetone, as it's quicker to brush on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Just about to pour six 12.5"x 19" tissues, but was 'wasting' time online as a batch of glop is on the magnetic stirrer before I start.

Always fun to see how others work. One fits the process with ones space and working conditions. I 'free-pour' (no frame to fence in the glop). I have three sheets of glass on my table with a sheet of 12.5"x19" Yupo on each. The batch on the stirrer will get filtered into three containers (about 290 ml each) and I'll pour one after the other, and let all three set-up before peeling them off the glass and hanging them up to dry.

Which I need to get to!

Great video!

Just poured the first three! On the table is the round bubble level and marble I use to level the glass.
    So you completely coat the whole sheet of yupo? About what thickness are you pouring?
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

I am using the 86 weight -- nice for this size. The next size down (76?) works fine, too. Last year I went on the Yupo site and ordered a couple hundred sheets at about a buck a sheet delivered. I bought some 100 weight also -- too thick...might be nice for huge tissues.

I am pouring at a rate of 1.2 ml per square inch (about 290ml for the 12.5"x 19" Yupo.) This allows for a bit glop running past the edges.

I sensitize a whole sheet and cut it up as needed. I make six 4x5 carbon prints per sheet (or four 5x7s, or three 4x10s or two 8x10s...or one 11x14). Pretty quick and I get consistent sensitizing per sheet.

I use to coat used litho film (0.004" thick) that students tossed out. I was coating 9x11s for 8x10 prints. I used a sheet of litho film for scores of tissues.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China