Thread: Calumet C1 Repair and questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Calumet C1 Repair and questions

On an impulse recently, I bought a green monster on ebay. It has a fair amount of corrosion, mold like and some rust. I had a vague idea of stripping it down, but don't trust myself to put it back together again.

1. I was wondering what could I use to clean the camera? I'm assuming some sort of solvent, but not sure. Figuring wire brush, rags and some chemical.

2. I have lenses in Ebony (Linhof style) boards. Will any 6x6 adapter work or is there something special I have to get? (Found one on ebay).

3. Currently, I put on a small Arca plate to mount to my Arca-Swiss Z2+ which is a pretty beefy head. I notice that there are two holes on the bottom for a larger and smaller screw. Does anyone know of an Arca compatible tripod plate that would be able to use those? I saw a RRS plate that was too long, though it had two screws but both were the same size. I don't see taking if far from the car so I don't want to get a new plate/head combo.

4.The GG broke in shipping and I contacted Steve Hopf about a GG since he had made one for my Intrepid a couple years ago, but haven't heard back. Has anyone had experience with the Catlabs GG? (ordered one on ebay).

It's not going to replace my Ebony 4x5. It's more of an adjunct camera. I got it because I want to make contact prints at home and do have some ideas for some projects I could do locally where the bulk wouldn't be a problem. A couple years ago I got the Intrepid V1 8x10 and found that camera futzy and useless. In any wind it was not stable. I've mounted the C1 and tightened it down and this camera ain't going anywhere in those situations. It just needs some TLC to get back in the game.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by letchhausen; 26-Aug-2020 at 11:40.