Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cheap 8x10 field camera?

cheap 8x10 field camera?

Where can I find one? I'm looking for something that is portable, preferrably made out of wood. Or maybe I should ask first: is there such a thing as a cheap 8x10 field camera?

thanks

cheap 8x10 field camera?

As long as you don't expect front movements, or a real rigid camera, I think you can get one fairly reasonable. I'm thinking 2D, or something like that. Cheap is a relative word when it comes to 8X10. They are all portable, just some need a truck. ( Just kidding, I know what you mean )

cheap 8x10 field camera?

I'm thinking about something in the $700 range. Used of course. For the front, I only need rise and fall, but I guess those should come standard. Front tilt would be nice, but I could probably do without. I rarely use front swings. I'm mainly concerned about weight and the dimensions, once the camera is folded up. eBay has a bunch of Deardorff's but they look pretty rough for those prices.

There's a nice 5x7 Canham on eBay right now, but I'm too scared to try 5x7 since I mainly shoot color.

cheap 8x10 field camera?

I'm with John. Find an old Eastman 2D. Generally, they run $300, give or take, depending on the condition. And they offer a reasonable amount of bellows extension and front movements. As with any older camera, make sure you have a good idea of bellows condition before buying.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

cheap 8x10 field camera?

Anither option is an Agfa Ansco. Models vary with vintage, but prices would run $400 - $600. A Burk and James might be another idea.

Take note though, a lot of cameras this old need some minor (or major) TLC and have missing parts. The biggest "killer" is having to replace a bellows, $250 - 350 is typical, so make sure it has a good one. A 2D with a bad bellows and no extension is a parts camera, going by what you'd have to put in it to fix it up. A sliding tripod block is highly desirable and make sure it isn't missing extension rails, at least if you plan on using longer lenses. Trying to find the block or rail is usually an excercise in futility.

Like 40+ year-old lenses, plan on another couple hundred for a 40+ year old camera for the TLC if you want it to truly work the way its manufacturer indended (not loose, in alignment, doesn't skip teeth on geared rails, etc.).

Steve

cheap 8x10 field camera?

Burke & James should be even a bit cheaper I got mine in almost unused condition for 480 USD. It is not a stable as a Dear but it get the job done and it has front swing tilt shift almost more what I ever will need.
    Just waiting for an adapter board from Adams at Grimes and then I can use the beast!

cheap 8x10 field camera?

I had my Eye out a few weeks ago, and all the D2's where going for a good bit more than $200-$300. I think there are a few of us looking for them. I finally gave up for awhile. Need to buy heating oil, ouch!

cheap 8x10 field camera?

I looked at the Burke & James cameras, but find them too heavy. I'm also not sure if you can fold them so they become compact like a Deardorff. Is there a website (other than eBay) that has a up-to-date list of 8x10 cameras for sale somewhere?

Big Bend

cheap 8x10 field camera?

If I'm not mistaken you can get color sheet film for 5x7 straight out of Japan. You just have to plan ahead like the ULF guys do. If my source is out-dated then I apologise.

Best
    Joe

cheap 8x10 field camera?

How much weight are you willing to handle? Weight,cost and stability are traded off. You can build a cheap heavy stable camera. You can build an expensive light stable camera. But a cheap light stable camera is going to be tough.