Hello to All,

I recently acquired a nice OSCAR SIMON ANASTIGMAT LENS (DRESDEN) in a casket box.
There are two actual lenses in there (#3 and #4 that can work independently, one slightly wider than the other- I haven't measured them yet but possibly one is a 130mm and the other a 180mm), a nice, small brass barrel with iris (stops marked from 0 to 7- what system would that be ? Zeiss ? I figured fully open- on zero- it must be roughly f6,3), two light yellow/orange filters, a removable back metal cone with threads (probably just to black out the optical path), and a strange device I had never encountered before. I'll try to describe it (also see attached photo): It fits the diameter of the lens barrel but has no threads, on one side there is a mirror surface and on the other side a small hole. If I shine a light on the mirror I do see a little bit of it coming through. What could be the intended use of this device? Does anybody have a copy of the printed instructions that this casket set contained when originally sold? I would be most grateful for any information you might be able to give me about this lens and particularly about the mirror cap/device.

Many thanks for your help
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0599.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	206218

Name:	IMG_0595.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	206219