I was given this scanner about five years ago and it's always been temperamental; in that time I've only managed seven scans! The main problem has always seemed to me to be the software, in that what is in the booklet and online help for the model doesn't seem to correspond with what is seen on the software interface. So I'm left to work it out intuitively. I place a negative in its holder, set the scanning parameters - no major deviations from the defaults, just selecting Greyscale and size mainly. Then preview; select the frame to scan, and Save. The preview image seems good, but what is saved is totally black. I'm going nuts over this. I've tried everything I can think of, to no avail. I've removed the old software and reinstalled the latest drivers for Mac (2010 as it happens), and in the past have even contacted the local HP support, without success because they no longer support this model.

So... does anyone have any ideas on this? Maybe someone has even had experience? The confusing thing to me is that the machine sounds as though it's working normally, AND I'm getting a good preview image, BUT no image output, just 35MB of 4x5 black. I deduce from this that the scanner is communicating with the computer - proof of this is that I get a good preview image (see screenshot) - therefore the scanner hardware is OK. So I must be doing something wrong. But what??? I really need to get this thing going and I've been letting it defeat me for too long. Grateful for any help.

Barry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 3.28.19 pm.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	206107