Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there alternatives for Schneider Super Angulon XL 210mm to cover 11x14"?

Re: Are there alternatives for Schneider Super Angulon XL 210mm to cover 11x14"?

Alternatives yes, cheap alternatives no.

Re: Are there alternatives for Schneider Super Angulon XL 210mm to cover 11x14"?

Protar V 212mm f/18 and Zeiss Dagor 21cm F/9 lenses both cover at f/32.

Just remembered that several years ago sold a Jos. Schneider & Co. Kreuznach Weitwinkel Anastigmat Dasykar f:12.5 F-18cm lens to a forum member.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...hlight=dasykar

Quote from that post from VM: "Dasykar f12.5 It was made in 60, 90, 130, 155, 180, 220, 255, 320, 440mm Layout Q7.It covered 90-110° and dated from the earliest production items. Use 180mm for 18x24cm at full aperture, 130mm at small stops. It was for Architecture, Interiors, Panoramas, and photogrammetry and seems to have sold quite well for a small new firm. The example seen was a small lens in a black finished brass barrel mount at No234,76x (c. Sept 1928) and showed the required (unlike) 2 bright and 1 faint reflexions front and rear. Dasykar would be replaced by the Angulon in 1930 approx. It should still be really usable today however. The barrel has a 32mm thread on the rear, to match a Compur 0 flange and the cells have the same thread as a dial set Compur, but the barrel is near 12mm deep while a d/s Compur was nearer 18mm, so there is no real compatibility with the normal Compur, but a wide one might be adapted. In use it gave good contrasty results, with improvement on close down- it might be regarded as f12 to compose and f16 or f22 to shoot, but actually f12 might give very attractive results on some subjects. In comparison the Angulon was to offer more speed and easier focusing. Fig 005 021 Schneider lenses: front (l) Dasykar, and (r) Rapid Aplanat and rear 3 prewar Xenars (f4.5 as (l) 210 and (m)165mm and (r) 75mm at rear. (above) [It was placed side by side with a Ross-Zeiss f12.5/98mm Anastigmat which had very small glasses in comparison: 7.5mm dia for Anastigmat compared with the Dasykar's 12mm. In both these the front cell is of almost infinite focal length and did not throw a visible image, the rear being of about the overall focal length of the combination. The Rodenstock Perigon f12/90mm at No2,369,41x ctd was superficially like the Daystar, but differed in that the front cell seemed to have measurable power, casting an image at about 5x the focus of the rear. The internal glasses were also really much smaller than the Dasykar ones. Thus here are 3 lenses of much the same apparent layout, but with real individuality. It shows the value of having several types to
    compare.]"

Hmm. I love obscure old lenses as much as the next photographer, but they're all hard to find and are often expensive. Expensive modern lenses are usually easier to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Hmm. I love obscure old lenses as much as the next photographer
    It's my belief that there are some rather exotic and rare unbranded lenses out there. Case in point is a photograph of a bank building in our town. Was probably taken around 1900. Print definitely from a LF negative. None of my LF lenses came close to being wide enough to take the same image until I acquired a 11mm IRIX for my FX camera. The IRIX's angle of view is listed as 126 degrees.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    It's my belief that there are some rather exotic and rare unbranded lenses out there. Case in point is a photograph of a bank building in our town. Was probably taken around 1900. Print definitely from a LF negative. None of my LF lenses came close to being wide enough to take the same image until I acquired a 11mm IRIX for my FX camera. The IRIX's angle of view is listed as 126 degrees.
    It could have been a hypergon - 135 degree coverage, and created around 1900.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rolph View Post
    It could have been a hypergon - 135 degree coverage, and created around 1900.
    Very well could have been a Hypergon.

Sometime between 1880 and 1900 our town's major employer back then (we were totally a factory town back then) hired a photographer to shoot various buildings (and possible other scenes) in the factory complex. Unfortunately till 2 years ago only one print from the series was known to still exist. It is displayed in our town's Museum. Then another print from the series was purchased off ebay by one of the Museum's members. All I am able to determine is that the glass plate format was 18x22, and that a rather wide angle lens was used that allowed the photographer to raise the front standard quite a bit for one of the two images. Images on both prints are impeccably sharp, even in the corners. Based on using my 5.9” No. 5 Gray's Extreme Angle Periscope on my 11x14, I have come to believe that the photographer could have used a No. 8 10" Gray's Extreme Angle Periscope on his 18x22. The No 8 Gray covers 20x24 and its image Bokeh looks to be identical to my 5.9" lens. To the OP, if you should come across an old very wide angle optic, go for if you possibly can. I took a big chance on acquiring my 5.9" Gray. It was purchased from a seller in the United Kingdom who was not a photographer and could only minimally describe the lens, and the lens was absolutely non-returnable. Good luck.

Here is an example with a Schneider Angulon 210mm f/6.8 on my 11x14:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/miloniro/48720857433
    Was created at f32. The corners may be sharpened by further stopping down and slightly shifting downwards.

Lachlan 717

Filters are a pain for the big 210mm’s.

I have 2 Polarisers for my 210mm SA, but have not seen any contrast filters available (127mm).

Would love a deep yellow or orange filter....
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

There is a 210mm Super Angulon for sale on E-bay $2,250. My 8x10 doesn't have the movements to use one of these.