Thread: Cable release thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cable release thread

Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV View Post
    Thanks yet again! I searched and found that document and the version 'C'. I then searched for the 'ANSI PH3.107' document it references but could not find a free copy... Ah-well, not worth $25 for me
    Yes I went looking for versions of "ANSI PH3.107" too. At some point it was re-named IT3.107 and was described as "Reaffirmed 1995" and "Not Active". Guessing this is the last iteration of the U.S. standard. It is available for $25 and I ordered a hard copy.

Have a hunch this went "inactive" because there is the current ISO standard which is available here: https://www.iso.org/standard/12247.html
    ISO is after all International Standards Organization and you'll see that this standard was approved by the appropriate US body, (ANSI) so not much sense in the US maintaining what's basically a duplicate standard. Pricier at 38 Swiss francs or about $40.

These standards can seem kind of pricey for what they are physically, just a few pages. Free copies can be hard to find though sometimes the essential information can be gleaned from other sources, like the federal standards cited above. I suppose the cost does help support the organization(s) maintaining the standards. And most of the time rather than being bought by nuts-and-bolts obsessives like myself the purchases are merely a minor part of doing business. I mean if you make cable releases and you want ISO 9000 yada yada certification you probably have to, among other things, be able to produce the appropriate, well, ISO standard.

Drifting quite a bit from the OT. Is this helping Jimbo?

In fact ISO is not an acronym for "International Standards Organization"; it is not an acronym. It does refer to the body whose name is "International Organization for Standardization." See my post #55 below.

David
    Last edited by David Lindquist; 13-Jul-2020 at 12:44. Reason: Correction of incorrect assertion