Thread: Lightweight stable tripod platform

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightweight stable tripod platform

I don't like putting 8x10 or larger view cameras on 1.5x2" quick release plates. For years, I've been using either a vintage Graflex Crown No. 4 or Ries tripod with 6" or more diameter platforms/heads.

When I recently bought an ultra-light FLM tripod, I tried again to use a QR plate and was still not happy, so I tried making my own platform head to sit on top of the legs. Having used it quite a bit on a recent trip, I'm satisfied with it so thought someone else might be interested.

It's made of 1/4 mahogany. 6" x 11". Has a 3/8 socket in the center to screw onto the tripod bolt and two (slightly wider than) 1/4" holes through which a thumb screw (with thumb nut) can be inserted into the 1/4-20 socket on the camera. Felt covering on the camera side. The two holes allow me to center the camera over the top of the legs when using either a short focal length lens or when the front rail is extended. Platform (with thumb screw and nut) weighs only 8 3/4oz.

Cheers!
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0507.jpg   IMG_0508.jpg   IMG_0509.jpg   IMG_0510.jpg