I picked up Ansco studio camera yesterday and it came with a pretty ugly 14x17 Series IIb Tessar. Mostly it's the paint that is ugly... the writing on the front was barely legible because of the black plaint has chipped away. I had to inspect it by shining a light at an oblique angle to see the barely perceptible engraving which says "Baush & Lomb 14 x7 Tessar Series II b Pat Feb 24, 1903. The aperture scale is equally difficult to read, but it goes from f/6.3 -> 64.

The glass looks pretty good. Just some dirt specs. However there is one aperture leaf that is floating in there, and it bends if I try to sop down. The other blades seem to work well. I have to decide whether it is worth fixing for me.

I know this lens is known for it's massive coverage, especially stopped down. I shoot 8x10 portraiture so that isn't a real factor for me. The question I have has more to do with the rendering qualities of this lens. Can anyone share what characteristics this lens has? Is is it known to be sharp or soft, and at what apertures? Is it sharp centrally, but soft on the edges (with 8x10)? Is is known to be a good portrait lens? How does it handle highlights, for example. Finally, how does it transition to out of focus areas? Smooth and dreamy ...or otherwise?

Does anyone have any portraits they have done that can be shared?

If it is any way unique in its image rendering it may be worth it for me to have the aperture repaired.

Thank you