Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Enlarger Base Height - Beseler 45V-XL

Re: Enlarger Base Height - Beseler 45V-XL

If you are only making 16x20 prints, I don't see the need for wall mount unless your floor and countertops are really bad when you walk around. A tall wall-mount with drop table or projection to the floor would be more for mural size, or extreme crop, etc. (see LabRat post above)

I don't have the enlarger, but the PDF manual indicates wall mounting for print sizes greater than 25" width from 4x5" negative with the 150mm lens. If you go with the 135mm lens the print can be up to 30" across on the baseboard, without wall mounting.
    So, you can probably mount the enlarger anywhere on the wall and make the table height right about where the baseboard would connect.

Or you could try the column/head attached to the baseboard (if you got a baseboard) sitting on any countertop and see how much blur you get from movement before mounting to the wall. I don't have any of my 4x5 enlargers affixed to the wall, but I'm on a concrete floor.

I found this formula in an old book for calculating lens to baseboard and lens to negative distance: focal length times degree of enlargement + focal length gives you baseboard to lens distance.
    So a 6 x 4 + 6= 30" baseboard to lens distance. To find lens to negative distance just divide the baseboard to lens distance, by the degree of enlargement. So in this case 30" divided by 4 which is 7.5".I don't know what head you are using so you have to take that into consideration.

Salmo, That's a great enlarger. In my darkroom (8ft ceiling) I have both a Beseler 45mxt with a Zone VI VC head and a Durst 138 with a colorhead. I work sitting down. My table measures 27" from the floor. I can do 20x24" prints from w the MXT. On the 138 side,I have a drop bed arrangement. I believe your 45-XL has a 57" column, though you didn't mention which head/lightsource your using. Here's a thread that you might find interesting: https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...ler-45.144115/. I suspect you'd want your table/counter on the lower side....

I have a Besler 45V-XL. My enlarger sits on a kitchen cabinet that I have repurposed to my darkroom. The height is 35" and my darkroom ceiling is probably less than 8' and I have no problem making 16x20 prints.

Jeffery Dale Welker

Thank you Bob.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

Jeffery Dale Welker

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Last year I built a second drop table, for my second Omega 4x5 DII.

Just an idea but might be worth considering, it gives you a lot of options. I print 16x20 from 4x5 and on down.
    I've considered this option. I have detailed examples of how to build an adjustable enlarger base in the various books I reference in designing my home darkroom. I.E. "Build Your Own Home Darkroom", "The New Darkroom Handbook", and Kodak's "Building a Home Darkroom". However, I want a fixed position for my easel. While I'd prefer a comfortable standing position, I'm also okay with a lower position where I could sit. I watched a video of William Clift working in his darkroom while sitting and was intrigued by that option. However, my first choice is a comfortable standing position, if the ceiling height and making a 16x20 print will allow that arrangement. Based on many of the comments in this thread, a comfortable standing position should be achievable.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

Jeffery Dale Welker

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    If you are only making 16x20 prints, I don't see the need for wall mount unless your floor and countertops are really bad when you walk around. A tall wall-mount with drop table or projection to the floor would be more for mural size, or extreme crop, etc. (see LabRat post above)

I don't have the enlarger, but the PDF manual indicates wall mounting for print sizes greater than 25" width from 4x5" negative with the 150mm lens. If you go with the 135mm lens the print can be up to 30" across on the baseboard, without wall mounting.
    So, you can probably mount the enlarger anywhere on the wall and make the table height right about where the baseboard would connect.

Or you could try the column/head attached to the baseboard (if you got a baseboard) sitting on any countertop and see how much blur you get from movement before mounting to the wall. I don't have any of my 4x5 enlargers affixed to the wall, but I'm on a concrete floor.
    You are correct, I don't "need" a wall mount. No matter, I want a wall mount. I was raised in a darkroom where both my father's enlargers were wall mounted. It's in my DNA and I want to follow my dad's example. Nothing more than an emotional decision on my part.

Jeffery Dale Welker

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Tymon View Post
    I found this formula in an old book for calculating lens to baseboard and lens to negative distance: focal length times degree of enlargement + focal length gives you baseboard to lens distance.
    So a 6 x 4 + 6= 30" baseboard to lens distance. To find lens to negative distance just divide the baseboard to lens distance, by the degree of enlargement. So in this case 30" divided by 4 which is 7.5".I don't know what head you are using so you have to take that into consideration.
    Thank you Andrew, that is helpful information. I currently have the Beseler Dichro 45S colorhead. That being said, I've heard good things about the Heiland LED cold light head when combined with their split-grade system. At some point in the future, I may acquire the Heiland. Accordingly, I'm making sure that my measurements take into account accommodating both heads with a little room to spare.

Jeffery Dale Welker

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    Salmo, That's a great enlarger. In my darkroom (8ft ceiling) I have both a Beseler 45mxt with a Zone VI VC head and a Durst 138 with a colorhead. I work sitting down. My table measures 27" from the floor. I can do 20x24" prints from w the MXT. On the 138 side,I have a drop bed arrangement. I believe your 45-XL has a 57" column, though you didn't mention which head/lightsource your using. Here's a thread that you might find interesting: https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...ler-45.144115/. I suspect you'd want your table/counter on the lower side....
    Thank you Greg for sharing this information.

Jeffery Dale Welker

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wellman View Post
    I have a Besler 45V-XL. My enlarger sits on a kitchen cabinet that I have repurposed to my darkroom. The height is 35" and my darkroom ceiling is probably less than 8' and I have no problem making 16x20 prints.
    Thank you Michael. Your setup and dimensions are in the same ballpark as my rough calculations/estimates. It is good to get confirmation from someone using the same enlarger with an 8' ceiling. One consideration I have not mentioned is that I am 6'-3". The higher I my enlarger base cabinet countertop, the more comfortable I'll be working at the enlarger while standing. Of course, my 8' ceiling is the ultimate limitation. That is why, when I saw William Clift working from a low/sitting position, I became intrigued with that as a possibility. Once I'm finished with the framing of the area where the enlarger will be located, I'll mock-up various mounting heights to see what I think will work best.