Quote Originally Posted by carbo73 View Post
Well, after an autumn without much wet plates, I've started winter and 2022 with a lot of trials and it's problems. Although now my silver baths seem quite correct, I've been ending my supply of collodion and sandarac varnish, so I decided to (partially) made them, following Quinn Jacobson's book and recipes. It not has started well. I bought new varnish but also mixed another batch. Both dissolved my images (it's an horrible thing to watch), but the problem seems to be diminishing adding some water. In fact much more than I presumed, as manuals say add only a few drops (too much water in the varnish has it's own problems!).

And then yesterday I did my first 500 ml of Quinn's Kick Clear collodion. As the name implies, it's ripe very fast (2 hours, Quinn says) but I let it rest 24h just in case. Well, fist plates are quite a mess, with a lot of wave or spaguetti-like veil. I don't know if this is still unripe collodion or another problem, but I partially solved it letting the plate stay in the silver bath not 3 minutes but almost 5. In fact, this pattern of veil is already visible in the undeveloped plate!

Any ideas? And, as I love getting into problems, I will try make negatives, with iodine redevelopment! First trials quite messy (but I had not all the chemistry)...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220119_162459.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	223697Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220119_164326.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	223698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220119_182515.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	223699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220119_183624.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	223700
Searching for information, now it seems that could be related to water in the collodion or too short time in the silver bath (or maybe both?), and Quinn Jacobson quotes a XIX C. book telling to put a bit of baking soda in the collodion to get rid of the water in it. Maybe I could try this, with a small batch of my new collodion...