Can anyone help identify this 5x7 camera? I bought it used about 35 years and recently did a full functional restoration but have no idea who made it or anything about it. For some reason, the name Tanakaishi (sp?) sticks in mind.

It's triple extension and capable of at least 18" extension. It appears to use metal hardware appropriate for that era. Although it had an older style rotating metal base for three wooden tripod legs, I've replaced that original base with a plate and Arca-Swiss QR plate. The wood seems to be mahogany. Construction is not particularly robust but the wood joinery does seem competent and everything is aligned and angled correctly.

The camera is very light, a bit over 3.5 pounds, and folds very compactly similar to a Nagaoka. It uses what appears to be a proprietary lens board that is a rather narrow vertically oriented rectangle that is 1/8" thick and is held in place by a spring pushing downward from the top of the lens mount. Hardware appears to be chrome/nickel plated but the back has inset 90 degree brass corner reinforcements.

I've done every possible online search that I can think of and found two apparent images, one pointing to a 2004 thread on Photo.net that ended without any identification and the other, on Flickr, pointed to a 404 page not found.

There is no identifying information but a few anomalies that might help. It is stamped "Made in Japan" in English only, from which I surmise that it is post-WWII.

The ground glass back registers properly for 5x7 film holder depth to septum (.217") and a standard 5x7 film holder fits in and seats properly for the long 7" length, but the GG back film holder width is 6.25 inches +/-, which is about 3/8" wider than a standard 5x7 holder. If the 5x7 holder is inserted and centered equally top and bottom, the photograph is fine and without light leaks.

Any assistance and expertise is appreciated.

Thank you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_5260495.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	204157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_5260492.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	204158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_5260494.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	204159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_5260491.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	204160