Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Scanning 8x10 Negatives

Re: Scanning 8x10 Negatives

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Hi Steve. I wasn't commenting on your scans. I was only giving my experience with one comparison. I don't have a drum scanner so it was done by someone else. All that info on who and what his settings were on his Howtek as well as my settings on the V850 is in my first post of that thread.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ghlight=howtek
    From what I can see the Howtek is much better. The Epson as well as the Howtek has native optical resolutions as well as non-optical (interpolated) resolutions. Could be the 4800 is an interpolated resolution. Did you wet mount and use something like the Betterscanning wet mount to adjust the focus?

I like the idea of not having to sharpen my images which the Howtek seems to produce scans that do not need to be sharpened which is ideal and shows the quality of ones image at capture. At least as far as focus.

Also, there isn’t a native aperture for a given dpi setting. It is highly dependent on the film as well as the dpi chosen. There is what can be described as an optimal setting that can be determined by the software such as DPL can do. I use that as my starting point make some test scans with and around the “optimal” aperture chosen. It is not always what the software may chose or some guideline.

Not bagging on your comparisons, they are quiet good and informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Also, there isn’t a native aperture for a given dpi setting. It is highly dependent on the film as well as the dpi chosen. There is what can be described as an optimal setting that can be determined by the software such as DPL can do. I use that as my starting point make some test scans with and around the “optimal” aperture chosen. It is not always what the software may chose or some guideline.
    Old drumscanner wishdom: Opening the scanner aperture gives a small loss of sharpness but a big gain of grain reduction.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Why not do both? I enjoy both the analog wet darkroom and working via the desktop for different reasons.
    couldn't agree more .. im using a perfection4870 for scanning, 6foot by 8foot panels looked very nice.

I enjoy both worlds. will start soon on darkroom printing.

From what I can see the Howtek is much better. The Epson as well as the Howtek has native optical resolutions as well as non-optical (interpolated) resolutions. Could be the 4800 is an interpolated resolution. Did you wet mount and use something like the Betterscanning wet mount to adjust the focus?

I like the idea of not having to sharpen my images which the Howtek seems to produce scans that do not need to be sharpened which is ideal and shows the quality of ones image at capture. At least as far as focus.

Not bagging on your comparisons, they are quiet good and informative.
    No I didn't wet scan. I used the standard V850 4x5 film holder with the glasss to hold the film flat. When I had an opportunity to compare scanning, I thought it would be interesting. I was surprised that the V850 would do that well. It does give a blurry kind of product if scanning flat. It requires loads of sharpening afterwards. Does the Howtek apply sharpening during its scan process?

No I didn't wet scan. I used the standard V850 4x5 film holder with the glasss to hold the film flat. When I had an opportunity to compare scanning, I thought it would be interesting. I was surprised that the V850 would do that well. It does give a blurry kind of product if scanning flat. It requires loads of sharpening afterwards. Does the Howtek apply sharpening during its scan process?
    You can apply sharpening with the Howtek, but I have not done so yet as I prefer to do it in PS. Although, I may try it down the road. You should try to wet scan. Results will improve. Yes, am impressed with the V850 overall. I had an opportunity to get the Howtek so I did, now going back is not possible.

You can apply sharpening with the Howtek, but I have not done so yet as I prefer to do it in PS. Although, I may try it down the road. You should try to wet scan. Results will improve. Yes, am impressed with the V850 overall. I had an opportunity to get the Howtek so I did, now going back is not possible.
    Yes I remember when you bought it. You've done a good job with it. I'm pretty satisfied with dry scanning with the V850 as it's used for posting on the web and seems mostly good enough for that purpose. If I print, I'll probably do a pro scan on a drum scanner.

Yes I remember when you bought it. You've done a good job with it. I'm pretty satisfied with dry scanning with the V850 as it's used for posting on the web and seems mostly good enough for that purpose. If I print, I'll probably do a pro scan on a drum scanner.
    If you want, you could send me an image and I can drum scan it for you. It wouldn't cost you anything to give it a try? I could also do a wet mount on my V850 for comparisons.

How is the center spot filter working out? I need to get a couple here soon.

If you want, you could send me an image and I can drum scan it for you. It wouldn't cost you anything to give it a try? I could also do a wet mount on my V850 for comparisons.

How is the center spot filter working out? I need to get a couple here soon.
    Thanks for the offer. Right now, I haven't been shooting much. With the center filter, its very large because the lens is a f4.5 90mm Nikkor with 107mm filter requirements if using the CF. So if I need to use a filter, I use my 75mm lens without center filter that will take my 77mmm filters with step up adapter.

Thanks for the offer. Right now, I haven't been shooting much. With the center filter, its very large because the lens is a f4.5 90mm Nikkor with 107mm filter requirements if using the CF. So if I need to use a filter, I use my 75mm lens without center filter that will take my 77mmm filters with step up adapter.
    Gotcha. I have the Schneider Super Angulon 90mm, ginormous filter thread. But I know I need a center spot for it and for my 75mm Nikkor lens. Very obvious when I shoot subjects like the Grand Canyon when it is stormy or sunrise/set.

Well, if you want to send an image you already have, let me know.