Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Should there be a Wet Plate subforum?

Re: Should there be a Wet Plate subforum?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    After further thought, I've decided there should be a "Wet Plate Subforum".

Specifically for wet plate images of submarines.

Maybe two subforums, one for the ships and one for the sandwiches...
    Those would be some very wet plates, indeed.

Mark, are you "dang opposed!" or "dang opposed, consarn it!"?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Another thought - I could be wrong, but I don't remember a ton of threads about WP. Is the reason for this simply that there was a popular forum or forums elsewhere for that? And if so, will the orphans from that forum having shutdown be interested in participating here?.
    One of the reasons this is being proposed is because the collodion.com discussion forum was shuttered by its owner recently, because he decided it was too costly to maintain. It was the last/only forum for discussion if technique and to seek help with technical problems. (Facebook doesn’t count as an alternative)

I know - hence the question, but perhaps I was unclear. Are a substantial # of members from that forum going to "migrate" here? Is the addition of a WP subforum predicated on the idea that WP practitioners need/want a specific "area" of the forum, rather than generally posting in appropriate subforums already here? What about the forum repository from collodion.com?

Perhaps some of y'all with a large amount of working experience could also write up some of your basic technical procedures to be added as part of the "Articles" section?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Are a substantial # of members from that forum going to "migrate" here? Is the addition of a WP subforum predicated on the idea that WP practitioners need/want a specific "area" of the forum, rather than generally posting in appropriate subforums already here?
    I expect a fair number of members from collodion.com already are here.
    What exactly is "the appropriate subforum" for this topic?? It has always confused me in the extreme where to post content specific to this process, as there seems to be no "appropriate" place for it!

I get the impression there are a lot of members here who feel a subforum specifically for the wet plate (and perhaps other alt/antique) process is unwarranted. That's fine. At this point I don't care if this idea is embraced or not, but I did think it was unfortunate that the only place we had to go to discuss technique and share our knowledge was retired from service, leaving nothing but Farcebook as the alternative. If LFPF doesn't want to create a home for the refugees from collodion.com, then so be it. Considering how poorly wet plate work is received on this form anyway, it seems unlikely to be of much benefit to the wet plate photographers anyway. This probably isn't a good fit. I don't have the energy to fight for this.

I wasn't a member, and I see the forum is not accessible, so do you know what the membership looked like? How many active members and that kinda thing? For example, the forum homepage here says:

"There are currently 614 users online. 112 members and 502 guests"
    "Threads 142,100 Posts 1,484,898 Members 42,689 Active Members 3,304"

As for your second question...forgive me, I'm not an avid WP practitioner, though I've made some plates with a friend. But here's Garrett's list earlier, with what seems like appropriate subforums:

1. Equipment needs, cameras and lenses. Making, buying, adapting.
    - Cameras & Camera Accessories
    2. Chemistry, problem solving and techniques to store, make, buy, use
    - Film, Processing & Printing (okay, they should add "plates" to this one)
    3. Developing and finishing techniques.
    - Same?
    4. Results, show your work.
    - Image Sharing (LF) & Discussion

Do these topics fit there?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

As already noted, I got the B&S kit

Found just now, it is missing the Hydrometer, due to backorder

I don't know what type as I await my Quinn book

I do know it's important to adjust Silver bath

I want to buy one today, what do I need?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post

Any standard wine makers hydrometer works fine. The idea is to measure the AgNO3 value of a brand new silver bath (Typically a new bath of 9% AgNO3 measures between 1.069 and 1.075 on a hygrometer scale) and then measure the bath every once in a while (depends on how often and how heavily you use it) and add silver nitrate crystals to replenish it. A new bath can make a LOT of plates before it becomes seriously depleted, but its a good practice to check it fairly often (usually during regular maintenance) so that you maintain the silver content at a fairly even level, rather than allowing it to drop way low and then add a lot of AgNO3 to bring it back to where it should be: this will affect the performance of your chemistry as a whole. There are enough variables in the process without having to guess what your silver bath is doing.

1) Methylene chloride works best for assembling silver and fixer tanks.
    2) Red plexiglass is not opaque to UV light.
    3) Silver nitrate stains puts your eyesight and your mariage at risk.

I am glad I found this by experience, but a well structured forum would be a great resource as well
    Have been (a mostly silent) member of both LFPF and Quinn's forum

Thanks, Paul

Very good advice

I do want to check the Silver Bath before any usage

These days backorder could mean, never, as suppliers dry up

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Any standard wine makers hydrometer works fine. The idea is to measure the AgNO3 value of a brand new silver bath (Typically a new bath of 9% AgNO3 measures between 1.069 and 1.075 on a hygrometer scale) and then measure the bath every once in a while (depends on how often and how heavily you use it) and add silver nitrate crystals to replenish it. A new bath can make a LOT of plates before it becomes seriously depleted, but its a good practice to check it fairly often (usually during regular maintenance) so that you maintain the silver content at a fairly even level, rather than allowing it to drop way low and then add a lot of AgNO3 to bring it back to where it should be: this will affect the performance of your chemistry as a whole. There are enough variables in the process without having to guess what your silver bath is doing.
    Tin Can

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post

If you mix your silver according to directions you will be fine. I've started two new baths now and both were right on the money when I mixed them.

I will add that when messing with silver nitrate outside the tank always wear gloves and eye protection. The crystals are even more dangerous.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!