Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 65mm lens comparison

Re: 65mm lens comparison

Norma Handy Stuff 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

It's not on Dan's listing but here is mine.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I see no one has mentioned the Rodenstock 65mm f4.5 Grandagon-N . . .

It is one of the sharpest lenses I have - next to my Rodenstock 150mm Sironar-S. It is also a nice small size. And it uses a 58mm center filter - a bit cheaper than the 67mm ones of any brand. My camera is a Toyo 45A and I've never had any problem with the bed in the picture except when I needed to drop the lens. As someone else noted, on a Toyo Field camera the 65 needs to be on a recessed board: a shutter release angles extension is essential and aperture, shutter and cocking, and press focus can be a challenge if you have big fingers - Chopsticks or something similar work well for setting the shutter even with the center filter on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmuessig View Post
    I see no one has mentioned the Rodenstock 65mm f4.5 Grandagon-N . . .

It is one of the sharpest lenses I have - next to my Rodenstock 150mm Sironar-S. It is also a nice small size. And it uses a 58mm center filter - a bit cheaper than the 67mm ones of any brand. My camera is a Toyo 45A and I've never had any problem with the bed in the picture except when I needed to drop the lens. As someone else noted, on a Toyo Field camera the 65 needs to be on a recessed board: a shutter release angles extension is essential and aperture, shutter and cocking, and press focus can be a challenge if you have big fingers - Chopsticks or something similar work well for setting the shutter even with the center filter on.
    +1 for the Rodenstock Grandagon N 65/4,5. It´s very very sharp. I shot color slide film and I find the center filter is mandatory, unless you like heavy fall off efect.

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    Will the f4 Nikkor's rear component fit through the hole behind a Pacemaker board and/or fit inside the bellows?
    I have a 65mm f4 Nikkor SW on a Pacemaker Graphic lens board and it fits just fine on a 4X5 TRF Crown. It can cam-couple to the RF like the Fujinon 65/8, but it cannot fold up in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    My experience with 65mm (SA 65/5.6) is that I now leave it on a shelf at home.
    Why?

I'm just getting into 4x5 and have a 75, 90 and 150mm. I do have a center filter for the 90mm but not the 75mm. I'm just starting to shoot and was wondering if you'd share your experience.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Why?

I'm just getting into 4x5 and have a 75, 90 and 150mm. I do have a center filter for the 90mm but not the 75mm. I'm just starting to shoot and was wondering if you'd share your experience.
    I guess the real reason is that I can't compose an image in my mind with a 65mm. My 75mm sees pretty much what my 90mm sees only a little bit wider, and behaves exactly the same when shooting. It was a very small adjustment for me to go a little bit wider. But composing on a ground glass with the 65 has proved too challenging, I keep getting things in the image that aren't supposed to be there (like my filter holder), vignetting because the image circle is too small and I don't use a camera with detents and all that stuff that would allow me to lock everything down perfectly centered and parallel.

I guess it comes down to the 65mm seeing wider than the human eye/brain does, I have similar difficulty composing with a small format fisheye because I can't see in my mind what the final image will be. It remains a novelty focal length for most, IMHO. You bring it out when you're not seeing anything good and hope you get lucky with some unusual perspective or proportion.

Same for me. I have and use 15mm 35mm lenses and 21mm is my favorite, but 65mm on 4x5 is something I can't deal with. . .I prefer 75 or even longer.
    A mystery.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

My 2nd-favorite focal length, after 90mm, is 58mm. I think I'm pretty good at ultrawide shooting. A lot of folks here seem to be partial to longer lenses.

Also depends on where/what you are shooting...

Oh, and there's a big difference in maneuverability when it comes to small handheld cameras vs. a 4x5 on a tripod. Certainly makes things a bit more difficult in terms of composition.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

It really is strange. In 35mm/LX digital, my favorite lens is 20mm, but in 4x5 I use 120 much more than 90.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I wonder, for those that shoot ultrawide on 35mm/FX but longer on 4x5 - does the aspect ratio change your compositional perspective? Do you use a lot of foreground/background relationships or just show a "wide view?" Is your tripod at eye-level or are you finding the best place* for the composition you envision?

Something else - when shooting 90mm I often use front fall/rise to accentuate foreground objects. This is just like a ~21mm lens on 35mm with the top cropped off. 65mm and wider starts to get REALLY wide. I think of 90mm as equivalent to 21/25mm lenses, depending on aspect ratio comparisons on the long/short ends.

*A recent precarious tripod position. needed to get the composition that accentuates the foreground.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome