Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Petzval vs. Projection Petzval

Re: Petzval vs. Projection Petzval

Not to say you might get a really good projector lens. Or you might not. You are just taking chances on how a particular one would look. I've even noticed differences in photographic petzvals by the same makers. Slight, but they can be there. You figure the projector lenses were coming out of boxes of parts, maybe even reject parts....it's not ideal for photography. Yet some people like the wacky swirl, poor sharpness, and all that....

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm familiar with the kind of image a Petzval lens will make; how would the projection Petzval's images be different?
    Given the same maximum aperture and same focal length, are there any significant differences in the images there two lenses make?
    I know that the projection Petzval had a slightly different design, so are there also any ways to tell them apart by looking at the lenses?
    Here's a B&L Petzval, a type I see often; projection or regular Petzval? Thanks

There is a way to tell them apart. If the B&L has a black "band" at both ends, on the inner chrome tube, it's much more likely a Petzval. If just at the front, and the chrome tube is open at the rear, it's a Triplet. Going by memory here, but I think I remember that.

Great, thanks again.
    Looking at the photo of the lens again, I remember reading somewhere that a recessed front element was a sure sign that it was a projection lens.
    Any truth to that?

I'm not sure about that. Check out some of my old posts, like this, about telling the diff.

By the way, I can't see your picture in your first post. So I can't say about that one.

I saw that post, and it seems that the lens is more likely a Petzval. A photo you posted in that thread is nearly identical to this one.
    Here's the original photo I had up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 49869651303_8e5a8f40bf.jpg  

I can say with 87.5% certainty it's a Petzval.

At one point I took apart a Darlot projection Petzval and a regular shooting Darlot and they look the same in terms of construction, except one has a waterhouse slot and the other didn't, and the physical size is different since it was two different focal length lens. And obviously the look on ground glass is different. I was intended to see if there is any differences between a Projection Petzval and a normal Petzval but couldn't find the proper paring between two lens of the same focal length and from the same manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I can say with 87.5% certainty it's a Petzval.
    Thanks, Garrett.
    Yeah, that 12.5% is roughly the same as my success rate in buying a legit, true Petzval