Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can you guys recommend any good replacement Ground Glass/Fresnel Lens for my 4x5?

Re: Can you guys recommend any good replacement Ground Glass/Fresnel Lens for my 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post

Sandy, do you remember what brand was the 2-in-1 ground glass/Fresnel that you had?
    Sorry, that was a long time ago. I remember buying the fresnel/ground glass from Edmund Scientific, but don't believe I ever knew the actual brand name. And when I tried to purchase a new one a decade or so later Edmund no longer had it in stock.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Re: Can you guys recommend any good replacement Ground Glass/Fresnel Lens for my 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    manfrominternet, I sent you a PM.

David
    PMed you back! Many, many thanks!!!

-Kristian

Hey all,

So I'm happy to report that, thanks to David Lindquist's selfless generosity, I have a genuine Linhof 45 Ground Glass. David was kind enough to send it to me without even asking for a cent. I promise to pay that generosity forward. Nice to know that there are really good people out there.

Anyway, I installed the Linhof Ground Glass and bought the Linhof Fresnel from Linhof Studio a few days ago. The Linhof Fresnel just came in today and I just installed it. The grooved/ring side of the Linhof Fresnel sits facing the ground glass/lens on the user side of the camera. So the Fresnel basically sits on the outside of the ground glass.

My question is this: Since the Linhof Fresnel is basically a delicate-looking piece of plastic (probably plexiglass) that sits on the outside of the Ground Glass, how do I prevent said Fresnel from getting all scratched up from, say, my magnifying loupe?

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    Hey all,

So I'm happy to report that, thanks to David Lindquist's selfless generosity, I have a genuine Linhof 45 Ground Glass. David was kind enough to send it to me without even asking for a cent. I promise to pay that generosity forward. Nice to know that there are really good people out there.

Anyway, I installed the Linhof Ground Glass and bought the Linhof Fresnel from Linhof Studio a few days ago. The Linhof Fresnel just came in today and I just installed it. The grooved/ring side of the Linhof Fresnel sits facing the ground glass/lens on the user side of the camera. So the Fresnel basically sits on the outside of the ground glass.

My question is this: Since the Linhof Fresnel is basically a delicate-looking piece of plastic (probably plexiglass) that sits on the outside of the Ground Glass, how do I prevent said Fresnel from getting all scratched up from, say, my magnifying loupe?
    Thank you very much for your kind and generous acknowledgment. Full disclosure: the ground glass I gave manfrominternet (I know his real name) came as original equipment on my Linhof. It's the one that has markings for 6 X 7, 6 X 9, 6 X 12 and 9 X 12cm. I found this a bit "busy" and since I didn't expect to ever get any roll film backs I replaced it with 021804, the ground glass with just the square centimeter grid, leaving the original ground glass excess to my needs. I was very very generously and voluntarily compensated for shipping and handling and I have the satisfaction knowing this is now in the hands of someone who will do good work with it.

I'll be interested to hear peoples comments regarding the concern about scratching the Fresnel as I have them also.

David

https://www.gelivableglass.com/ads-p...gaAriHEALw_wcB
    maybe you can get a proper sized gorilla glass cover.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    Thank you very much for your kind and generous acknowledgment. Full disclosure: the ground glass I gave manfrominternet (I know his real name) came as original equipment on my Linhof. It's the one that has markings for 6 X 7, 6 X 9, 6 X 12 and 9 X 12cm. I found this a bit "busy" and since I didn't expect to ever get any roll film backs I replaced it with 021804, the ground glass with just the square centimeter grid, leaving the original ground glass excess to my needs. I was very very generously and voluntarily compensated for shipping and handling and I have the satisfaction knowing this is now in the hands of someone who will do good work with it.

I'll be interested to hear peoples comments regarding the concern about scratching the Fresnel as I have them also.

David
    The grooved side is delicate, but any good loupe won’t scratch either side. Some really inexpensive loupes from China had a rough bottom edge that could scratch. But those had clear skirts and were not designed for gg use. An example would be the 10x copy of the old Agfa loupe compared to the Spanish copy one.