Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: SINAR Norma: Now I get it!

Jeffery Dale Welker

Re: SINAR Norma: Now I get it!

Holy Smokes Daniel! My father would have drooled over such a LF rig. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    5x7 TLR Norma 360 Componon Peco Studio Stand by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is what I have decided to keep around for 5x7 and 13x18cm, and 4x5/9x12, TLR Sinar Norma. Shown with matched pair 360mm Schneider Componons. Sinar Norma Pan Tilt Head attached to Plaube Peco Studio Camera Stand. Lit by my Broncolor Octobox 150 with Supplemental Diffusion Front. Very soft light like a GIANT movable Window Lighting. 4x6 Foamcore Panel opposite side just off camera for passive fill. This camera I will be using for Fast Action LF Photogrpaphy and LF Portraiture. I have over 20 matched lens pairs to fit this camera, from 90mm to 520mm. With Norma you can put the lens pairs exactly where they need to be. Additionally the front and back standards need to be aligned, I have learned how to do this. Interestingly I have seen Ebay auctions from Hollywood California Glamour Photographers selling off this very camera (several times) so it must have been well used for action head shots many, many times I imagine. This will be fun to use for fashion photography, too.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is my all Sinar Norma Parts "Shorty" 4x5. Tripod inspired by and copied from Julius Shulman's famous book on "Architecural Photography Inside And Out". When I was young i studied this book intensely. The tripod is super lightweight, vibrates a teeny tiny bit, but settles down quickly. I can lift and carry it as is with one hand. With a small soft bag for holders and stuff it's good for outside use. As a 2x3 camera with wind knob Graflex backs it is even more lightweight. So this will be getting some use in the future as I seek a lighter load with Normas.

BTW this is the 75mm F8 Norma Super Angulon focused at infinity. Schneider Center Filter marked "75mm F8 Super Angulon"

Photo Firepower from the '60s.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Drew Wiley

That's like a caterpillar with an eyespot on the end opposite to its head, so that the bird doesn't know which end to grab.

Jeffery Dale Welker

While I'm not familiar with Shulman's "Architecural Photography Inside And Out", my humble home library has a copy of his book "Julius Shulman: Architecture and Its Photography". Wonderful book by the iconic Shulman.

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is my all Sinar Norma Parts "Shorty" 4x5. Tripod inspired by and copied from Julius Shulman's famous book on "Architecural Photography Inside And Out". When I was young i studied this book intensely. The tripod is super lightweight, vibrates a teeny tiny bit, but settles down quickly. I can lift and carry it as is with one hand. With a small soft bag for holders and stuff it's good for outside use. As a 2x3 camera with wind knob Graflex backs it is even more lightweight. So this will be getting some use in the future as I seek a lighter load with Normas.

BTW this is the 75mm F8 Norma Super Angulon focused at infinity. Schneider Center Filter marked "75mm F8 Super Angulon"

Photo Firepower from the '60s.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo22 View Post
    While I'm not familiar with Shulman's "Architecural Photography Inside And Out", my humble home library has a copy of his book "Julius Shulman: Architecture and Its Photography". Wonderful book by the iconic Shulman.
    I found a nice copy of "Julius Shulman: Architecture and It's Photography" and it is a wonderful new book for my home library.

I also have this award winning video. Beautifully made and it stirs my emotions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ourkhC0ixg8

― Mark Twain

Jeffery Dale Welker

Thank you for this reference Daniel. I've sent a few coins Amazon Prime's way and will watch it this evening.

I also have this award winning video. Beautifully made and it stirs my emotions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ourkhC0ixg8

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    That's like a caterpillar with an eyespot on the end opposite to its head, so that the bird doesn't know which end to grab.
    Truly a camera for the Atomic Age!

― Mark Twain

What do the thin, stalk-like metal knobs do on the Norma?

There are knobs on the front and back standards, they control the focus micro drives for fine focusing, forward and back.

There are levers on earlier vintage Normas, to lock the focus micro drives. Later vintage Normas don't have the focus micro drive locks.

There are two levers above the focus mechanism, one releases so you can -laterally slide- left and right of axis.

There is another lever there too, which allows you to -swing- the standard also off axis.

There are also small knobs to -raise and lower- the standards. Ball detent when zeroed which is nice.

Norma Instruction Book Here (Later Vintage):

https://www.cameraeccentric.com/stat...fs/sinar_1.pdf
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 25-Aug-2023 at 06:18.

― Mark Twain

There are knobs on the front and back standards, they control the focus micro drives for fine focusing, forward and back.

There are levers on earlier vintage Normas, to lock the focus micro drives. Later vintage Normas don't have the focus micro drive locks.

There are two levers above the focus mechanism, one releases so you can -laterally slide- left and right of axis.

There is another lever there too, which allows you to -swing- the standard also off axis.

There are also small knobs to -raise and lower- the standards. Ball detent when zeroed which is nice.
    Thank you, Daniel.