Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SINAR Norma: Now I get it!

Re: SINAR Norma: Now I get it!

Sinar Norma Price List July 1966 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Sinar Norma Price List July 1966 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

If you want a cheap basic 4x5 that is all good. If you you want to accumulate a super ultra unmatched system that is doable as well. Look at all the stuff that was available! No other LF camera system is even close to matching it's capabilities

Acquiring the original Norma instruction book is a must if you are to acquaint yourself with what I call "The Erector Set of Photography".
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

4x5 5x7 8x10 Normas by Nokton48, on Flickr

8x10 to 5x7 Norma Special Bellows 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

"The Erector Set of Large Format Photography".

― Mark Twain

Hi. I'm interested in getting a higher resolution image of this price list for Sinar. Is that available anywhere?

Mike

Update: I found 2 pages on Flickr

Yep I was going to suggest clicking on my Flikr links. ENJOY

― Mark Twain

Drew Wiley

I think some of Daniel's concoctions might be mistaken for NASA Mars landing craft. Maybe one of those is designed to record alien life. But it will probably scare them away instead with its big eyeball.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 21-Aug-2023 at 08:51.

Jeffery Dale Welker

I've been thinking about getting a Norma for some time. I don't believe I've actually seen one in the flesh, but this thread has me getting serious about acquisition. A few questions.

1. What is the "SYSTEM C KOCH"? I don't see it on every Norma I've looked at online.

2. What does the Norma Expert 4x5 bring to the party that the 'Standard' Norma does not?

3. As a neophyte to the Norma world, what should I be looking for when evaluating used Norma's?

Many thanks for the information and getting me off the fence.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

1) Sinar Normas were in production for at least 22 years; 1948-70 or so. Some variation in labeling over time is to be expected.
    2) "Expert" in later Sinars usually refers to a very complete kit with many accessories, rather than just the camera.
    3) With these cameras, physical condition is everything. Many have been used hard for decades, and all are over 50 years old. But like a vintage Rolls-Royce, they can be rebuilt... but those with the skills to do so are few and far between. Buy the best one you can find.
    4) I'm no Sinar Expert but have been using them for 30 years, and have used my own 4x5 Norma since 2010. The real experts will correct my mistakes before long!

Jeffery Dale Welker

I got of my lazy behind and did some additional 'Norma' research on LFPF and elsewhere. Somewhat embarrassed about my 'SYSTEM C KOCH' question. It seems every Norma has that engraved on the front standard and I was confused when I saw close-up images of, what I learned was, the back standard. Is there a resource for determining the age of a Norma via the serial number? I'm thinking that would be helpful in my search.

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo22 View Post
    I've been thinking about getting a Norma for some time. I don't believe I've actually seen one in the flesh, but this thread has me getting serious about acquisition. A few questions.

1. What is the "SYSTEM C KOCH"? I don't see it on every Norma I've looked at online.

2. What does the Norma Expert 4x5 bring to the party that the 'Standard' Norma does not?

3. As a neophyte to the Norma world, what should I be looking for when evaluating used Norma's?

Many thanks for the information and getting me off the fence.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

No need to feel embarrassed, really...

I can try to help you. No serial numbers listing I've ever found. -Real- early Normas were black hammerloid finish. First production Normas have the Locking Levers on the focus microdrives. The last of the Normas, they removed the Locking Lever feature, they felt they didn't need them, I guess?

Sinar offered the Norma as an "Expert" kit. It's the Norma plus some basic accessories.

Try to examine the camera, try to get a return priviledge if possible. Most work fine out of the gate, some have lived rough lives. Any Norma not completely Busted (shattered parts) can be rebuilt, if you have the skills to do it, or you pony up $$$.

Check out Glennview. Glenn can rebuild Normas (it is expensive!)

https://glennview.com/sinar.htm

I've been a customer of Glenn for many decades.

I search periodically for Norma stuff at Ebay.com but also Ebay.UK and Ebay.de

― Mark Twain