Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: SINAR Norma: Now I get it!

Drew Wiley

Re: SINAR Norma: Now I get it!

Being earlier Sinar cameras, if shopping for one, the main point would be their condition. Really clean ones do turn up. The biggest problem is generally with the bellows. Cameras with the original tapered bellows in excellent condition are hard to find. It's a deluxe bellows really nice to work with. You can easily substitute the later box style 4X5 bellows; but if that is what is installed on the camera, there might be other component substitutions too. Everything might work perfectly well, but any hybrid setup should be clearly identified by the seller; otherwise, there might be some unannounced wear and tear anomalies too. But I wouldn't worry about a missing little level or something minor like that.

Even the clean ones need period maintenance and tuning up the screw tensions etc. That's pretty easy to do once you learn how. But the really old ones came with a kind of viewing glass that was coating frosted, and not actually ground glass. It's dimmer than real ground glass, and likely will have yellowed somewhat over time. So in that case, replacement with Sinar's later actual ground glass or some other quality substitute is recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo22 View Post
    I've been thinking about getting a Norma for some time. I don't believe I've actually seen one in the flesh, but this thread has me getting serious about acquisition. A few questions.

1. What is the "SYSTEM C KOCH"? I don't see it on every Norma I've looked at online.

2. What does the Norma Expert 4x5 bring to the party that the 'Standard' Norma does not?

3. As a neophyte to the Norma world, what should I be looking for when evaluating used Norma's?

Many thanks for the information and getting me off the fence.

I’m with you. All this glowing talk about Normas makes me want to buy one to replace my Calumet CC401. Not being mechanically inclined, though, I hope there are still Normas out there that wouldn’t require extensive tinkering to work properly. I could handle some minor lubrication, but dismantling the camera for a complete overhaul wouldn’t be something I’d tackle. I might pay someone to do it.

Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Jeffery Dale Welker

Thanks all for the kind comments, information, and suggestions. The one-and-only brick and mortar camera store in my area (Tempe Camera) has a good used camera section and often has used LF equipment on consignment. I would prefer to find one there that I can earnestly inspect in-person; however, I'm not opposed to online options. I like the idea of the tapered bellows that Drew mentions. Even if I need to replace the tapered bellows, due to wear, I'd probably go that route. My dad was a Tech Sargent in the USAF in charge of the photolab and maintaining the "gun" cameras on the squadron aircraft. He taught me how to perform a CLA on his Linhof, so I'm willing to give it a try, if needed, on a Norma.

It sure looks like Glenn (Glennview) is a good resource. Thanks Daniel.

The patient hunt begins. I'm sure I'll have other questions...
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    I’m with you. All this glowing talk about Normas makes me want to buy one to replace my Calumet CC401. Not being mechanically inclined, though, I hope there are still Normas out there that wouldn’t require extensive tinkering to work properly. I could handle some minor lubrication, but dismantling the camera for a complete overhaul wouldn’t be something I’d tackle. I might pay someone to do it.
    I went from a CC-401 to a Cambo SC. Big improvement. Then I switched to a Sinar F. Big improvement again. Then I added a Sinar P—and that was in the category of adding rather than replacing.

The Norma has better build quality than the F or P, but the features sit in between.

I’d be happy with the Norma instead of the F, but the P still does some stuff (like geared movements) the Norma doesn’t do, and sometimes it’s really nice to have. I particularly like the geared movements when using smaller roll-film formats.

Rick “who’d rather have a ‘lowly’ F than most alternatives in what used to be the affordable range” Denney

Drew Wiley

There are some lovely Norma 4X5's on EBay right now at very tempting prices (but note the shipping costs too). Often Norma listings are from reputable dealers specializing in them, along with related Sinar gear. Otherwise, it can be hard to find excellent ones with clean original bellows. Sometimes they show up on this Forum for sale too. I'd rather have, and did find, a barely used one from out of a studio environment via a specialty dealer, rather than something needing a lot of attention to refurbish. The price at the moment won't be much different. Even the clean ones are being offered more affordable than ever.

Keith at Custom Bellows rebuilds Norma Bellows to your specs, quickly and with great skill. He used to make original Norma Bellows, although the modern materials are not the beautiful perfect leather in the 1960's vintage. Keith also helped me out (what a great Man he's so nice!) make some original Norma Special Bellows I've seen only in the catalogs, never in person. Keith made for an 8x10 to 5x7 short "Special Bellows", so the point is, NEVER throw olde Norma Frames. Recycle with Keith and make something you need if you can't find it. Send him the Norma Bellow in shreds and he will remake it to size for you, at what I think is a very fair price. I've bought some thrown into a deal for Ten or Twenty Pounds, the Norma front frame is square black material with a round hole in the center. I think it is more desirable to use the original Norma Frames, rather then getting something more modern. Same with the Pan Tilt Head, it is part of the Norma Mechanism, designed as a whole. Best there is IMO. It completes the camera.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 22-Aug-2023 at 11:22.

― Mark Twain

Drew Wiley

Keith does do excellent work. But the leather he now uses is thicker, which might be an improvement for certain applications, but won't operate quite like the original Norma 4X5 bellows which compresses so easily. I would avoid the Chinese generic plastic substitutes sold over the web due to fatigue risk at the corner folds. If you want polyurethane material, try Dynatec in the US. But for larger bellows, like 5X7 and 8X10 Norma cameras, Keith at Custom is definitely who you want to deal with. It's rather rare to encounter old Norma versions of these in pristine condition. Of course, you could substitute Sinar's own later equivalents; but those might be higher priced than Keith's if themselves found in good condition. 4X5 is a somewhat different story, because there are a lot more of them out there to choose from.

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

Turns out I have enough spare parts to build this prototype. It's held together by tight adjustment, and it's very solid. WOW it's heavy I mean a real brute. I used Gaffer Tape from B&H cut with razor blade to specific widths, and the lens is not going anywhere and it's solidly supported at this point. Light cracks and leaks around the bellows are pretty much plugged up, so the lens appears light tight at this point. I prefer to protype with various tyoes of tape, before making (or have something made) as far as rotating this into the equipment rotation. This was fun to build. If you look in the back of "Castles in Spain" by Reinhart Wolf, you will see this same lens in use, and also set up.

I'm thinking S.K. Grimes to make by their CNC the rear mount, a sort of "reverse mounted top hat" which will forward mount this 1000mm F16 Apo-Ronar. It does have a distinctive wasp shape. Prolly came off of a Process Camera, which I'm quite familiar with. You can do halftone production with the 8x10 Norma, they made special (mullion I think?) holders for offset productions. Can do nice color separations (pin registered) with it too! A Mini Process camera if you wish. With the 8x10 Norma you can adjust the film plane, to use precisely with different types of film holders.

― Mark Twain

5x7 TLR Norma 360 Componon Peco Studio Stand by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is what I have decided to keep around for 5x7 and 13x18cm, and 4x5/9x12, TLR Sinar Norma. Shown with matched pair 360mm Schneider Componons. Sinar Norma Pan Tilt Head attached to Plaube Peco Studio Camera Stand. Lit by my Broncolor Octobox 150 with Supplemental Diffusion Front. Very soft light like a GIANT movable Window Lighting. 4x6 Foamcore Panel opposite side just off camera for passive fill. This camera I will be using for Fast Action LF Photogrpaphy and LF Portraiture. I have over 20 matched lens pairs to fit this camera, from 90mm to 520mm. With Norma you can put the lens pairs exactly where they need to be. Additionally the front and back standards need to be aligned, I have learned how to do this. Interestingly I have seen Ebay auctions from Hollywood California Glamour Photographers selling off this very camera (several times) so it must have been well used for action head shots many, many times I imagine. This will be fun to use for fashion photography, too.

― Mark Twain