Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 film dev - what do you use as a process?

Re: 8x10 film dev - what do you use as a process? 2024 update

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post

I agree with you that the Jobo (if one can justify the expense and is willing to mount the learning curve) is the way to go for LF film. To date, no development technique I've ever tried provides as even development; though, the jury is still out with the Stearman SP-8x10 tank. I've only processed a few sheets in this tank, but I'm mightily impressed with what I've seen so far. Only thing there is that it's single sheet at a time.

Hello,
    I recently started with large format (i got a good deal on a chamonix 8x10) and developed my first sheets with tray development (rodinal, normal agitation, results OK, as expected). I also shoot MF B&W.

Is in 2024 the stearman SP 8x10 the rational way to go for daylight development if you start from scratch?

I have acces to a darkroom at an art school, but want to get organised for development at home. Loading and changing film in the dark is no problem, but for development i will need a daylight development tank or tube.

I don’t shoot much sheet film. 1 sheet at a time is OK for me. The jobo expert drum and processors are probably to much (cost and storage).

I did some searching on this forum and in summary these seem the options for daylight development:
    - Stearman SP8x10 tank: No complaints? Or no final conclusion?
    - Cibachrome ii paper drum
    - Jobo 2800 paper drum
    - Other tubes
    -…

I don’t have a conclusion on the paper drums (uneven development? ribs needed to allow fluid go behind the film?…), and table top rolling without a motorised roller is probably not ideal.

The price of the stearman tank is in the range of a used jobo paper drum. The cibachrome ii seems to be not that common in Europe. The ilford paper drum is easy to find, but i have no idea if this tank is suitable for sheet film and what the results are.

What is the best option to start with the right tool? Given the learning curve, i would like to play safe in the choice of this development tool.

Regards
    Steven
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4E109AC6-6974-49FC-A69B-6CC2DEAFC8D1.jpg  

Re: 8x10 film dev - what do you use as a process?

Calumet Gas Burst covered daylight tanks on hangers

Bought used 10 years ago
    Tin Can

Re: 8x10 film dev - what do you use as a process? 2024 update

Hi Steve,
    I use the Durst codrum 205 on a motor base with 8x10" with no complaints. Personally, I give a 5min pre-soak, and I both tilt and turn the drum around, if the motor base doesn't have reverse, in order to introduce a more random, less uniform flow of chemicals.
    I have found this to be a relatively, inexpensive, reliable and consistent method. Best of luck.

The Durst Codrum 205 looks similar to the ilford processing drum?

Steven

Jobo 3005 if you can afford it, and it really doesn't take up much real estate. You also can use the manual roller base, or use something like a Simm roller base. I've also used Simma 8x10 print drums for 4x5 and 8x10 with no issues. The motorized base does make life easier
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ferson View Post
    The Durst Codrum 205 looks similar to the ilford processing drum?

Steven
    You're right that they look very similar almost identical, but I have both and I have used both, and I can't remember why, but the Ilford drum didn't work as well as the Durst, so I avoid using it.
    Unfortunately I don't have access at the moment.
    Anyway, this is like the type, model that I use which is plain and not the one with text all over it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Codrum02.jpg   Codrum01.jpg   Codrum03.jpg  

Hello,

I got 2 recommendations for drums. Are there good results with the stearman daylight tray or should i stick to a drum for daylight development?

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ferson View Post
    Hello,

I got 2 recommendations for drums. Are there good results with the stearman daylight tray or should i stick to a drum for daylight development?

Steven
    The Stearman SP-8x10 works beautifully and it’s hard to make mistakes with. Also you can use it for 4x5, 5x7, 4x10.

The drums are a better option if you have a lot to process. They are not fool proof though — loading, rotation speeds, leveling , etc are things to watch for. Of course they’re a great tool once you’ve done it right a couple of times.

I always got perfect results since day one with the Stearman. I recommend it if you don’t mind processing 1 sheet at a time.

I love my Stearman Press 8x10 setup.
    No damage, no surge marks, uses only 500ml of developer.
    I have two of them...one dedicated to 8x10, the other for 5x7 & 4x5.
    The only downside is the single sheet capacity...
    I can only load it at night.
    If I shoot 6 sheets of 8x10, I'm looking at a week-long processing adventure, maybe more.
    Not recommended for double-sided X-Ray film, but that's not an issue for me.

I have my own system using a plastic Calumet, 8x10 film hanger that I've customized to avoid any streaking.

To maintain precise temperature control and timing, I develop all my film in total darkness. (Daylight film processing is full of compromises.) Of course, I have everything laid out in advance. I also have shades that surround my timer, so that zero stray light reaches the film.