Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with dust

Re: Dealing with dust

If you are still not sure if the code notch is wrong, take out one sheet to the light and the lighter side is emulsion and dark side back...Notch should be in upper right corner with emulsion towards you... If not, bring back to Freestyle for exchange (they have a return policy if not happy)...

But I doubt there's a problem with it...

Steve K

At home I turn on an ion generator 20-30 min before loading. Drops dust like a lead ballon.

Let me say gentlemen some bulletproof advices about clean air. This is essential for everyone who involved in the film photography.

1. You should have a source of compressed clean air. Think a dental compressor like apollo dental etc. Depending of what you buyed, you can also add 1 ot 2 air filters for further safety. You should not touch with a hands or cloth your lenses or film from now on.

1. You should have a clean air in the room. The filter should be the best. Cheap filters don't work at all. IQAir Breeth can give you that purity, when you dont have a dust on your shelves for five years. Imagine it. Invest in it.

2. You can increase safety by adding ionisation in air. But ozone is harming, so do it locally and not all the time.

Biggest help to me is to keep film holders clean. I use plastic antistatic bags (meant for electronics) Normally plastic bags tend to attract dust but at least they don't give off dust like a paper or fabric. Antistatic bags have a coating that neutralizes static. Keep the film holder bagged at all times except for loading/exposing/unloading. The bags are reusable many times.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1117191526_HDR.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	202769

https://www.honeywellstore.com/store...er-hht270w.htm
    is a newer version of the air cleaner I leave running in my darkroom. A clean place to load unload and dry film is helpful.

Dust indeed. Everything in LF is "open"; the sheet of film is exposed to the interior volume of the camera at every exposure, oftenfor quite a bit of time. Eaxh sheet of film is manually handled multiple times before development is finished and the image printed or scanned. In 35mm film photography, the film may never be touched through final development. Digital imaging is even more "steril" to dust.

Not much helpful advice here . . .sorry.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I think dust is not a problem at all... as long as you keep things reasonably clean, cameras, shelves, camera bags, floors, cabinets, etc. If so, of course there will be always dust around, but in "reasonably" low quantities. As mentioned above, keep holders -I also keep the lenses- inside zipped plastic bags.

Also, notice that canned air is great for some tasks but not for others... so it moves dust from one place to another.

The main problem come from sources that are dust magnets and hard to clean; some camera bellows are synthetic with a cloth inner surface that catch dust, so it can store huge amounts of it. Any bellows suctions air when being extended, so they attract dust inside. Just clean it with a vacuum cleaner and a soft brush suction noozle, it makes wonders. Or use a soft hand brush with the vacuum to help to remove the dust, sometimes a flat nozzle is not enough.

Another typical problem are certain changing bags, also with velvet alike imaterial inside, I bet this is your problem. There is a well known manufacturer that sell very fine changing bags but with that wrong material inside. I bought one time ago (expensive), and found it to be almost useless... the material itself release tiny fibers that adheres directly to the film at the loading stage, ruining every holder. My cheap manufacture changing bags are very low quality in comparison, but much better in use.

The next problem use to happen while hanging the wet film to dry, here you should keep the film on a clean area and not to move the air too much around.

With this points on mind, my negatives come out *almost* free of dust.

I have a variety of 5x7 holders and I've found the older wooden ones to be static-free, which is logical I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Biggest help to me is to keep film holders clean. I use plastic antistatic bags (meant for electronics)
    Really good advice, thank you very much

don't deal with the cheap filters, buy expensive IQAir Breeth, you will be amazed how good it works for the entire room
    this really eliminates the problem, you can even leave the film drying
    you can use dylos air quality monitor to control

clean all - all the equipment with 8atm compressed air

You're right Steve, there was no problem with the film, only with my expectation. Normally I find the emulsion side to look slightly dull or matte compared to the "back" side of the film. With slide film it's super easy, you can actually see the layers built up on the film base, and most B&W is pretty straightforward to tell the difference too.

This particular emulsion shows as the opposite, the glossy, super slick side is in fact the emulsion, and the rough, matte side is the back of the film.

Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    If you are still not sure if the code notch is wrong, take out one sheet to the light and the lighter side is emulsion and dark side back...Notch should be in upper right corner with emulsion towards you... If not, bring back to Freestyle for exchange (they have a return policy if not happy)...

But I doubt there's a problem with it...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Biggest help to me is to keep film holders clean. I use plastic antistatic bags (meant for electronics) Normally plastic bags tend to attract dust but at least they don't give off dust like a paper or fabric. Antistatic bags have a coating that neutralizes static. Keep the film holder bagged at all times except for loading/exposing/unloading. The bags are reusable many times.
    I just got back from the store with a box of 1l Zip-lock baggies. Do you have a source for the anti-static ones? Those make a lot of sense.