Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in 4 x 5

Re: Interested in 4 x 5

@natalieanalog on Instagram

How are the Omega 45's? Are there Omega field cameras?
    How portable are the monorails?

Quote Originally Posted by thebbqguy View Post
    How portable are the monorails?
    Lets just say, "where there's a will, there's a way". But monorail cameras are not designed to be used as field cameras. You can do it with 4x5, but it will likely prove to be cumbersome and tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Lets just say, "where there's a will, there's a way". But monorail cameras are not designed to be used as field cameras. You can do it with 4x5, but it will likely prove to be cumbersome and tedious.
    Never played with the Technikardan?

Curious generalization about Monorail cameras..

All goes back to print image goals. Do a search on LFF on the difficulties of trying to use a short focal length wide angle lens on field or foldable camera, then do the same search on using long focal length lenses on field or foldable cameras.. Fact is, field or foldable view cameras have baked in limitations that could be very serious depending on print image goals.

As for monorails, it's portability depends on the specific monorail and how it would be used outside. Architecture photographers have a very significant advantage to use a GOOD monorail camera over a field or folder, as Architecture photography is done outdoors and indoors often very demanding on camera movements.

Again, it really comes down to print image goals and the needs of an individual image maker. There is NO single ideal view camera to meet ALL image making demands.

Bernice

Omega cameras are Toyos re-branded for the US market. Mostly they were the lower-end models like the Toyo C and E. I think one model was called Omega F. These models lacked the geared movements and/or interchangeable bellows / rails. The absence of these features makes them lighter, but not less bulky and un-portable as the Toyo G series, their big brothers. They were intended to compete with the Calumet which was popular in the US school market.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Omega cameras are Toyos re-branded for the US market. Mostly they were the lower-end models like the Toyo C and E. I think one model was called Omega F. These models lacked the geared movements and/or interchangeable bellows / rails. The absence of these features makes them lighter, but not less bulky and un-portable as the Toyo G series, their big brothers. They were intended to compete with the Calumet which was popular in the US school market.

Kumar
    Did any of the Omegas or Calumets have the geared movements?

The Calumet CC-400 had geared front rise.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by thebbqguy View Post
    I think I need to learn how to develop film first and foremost at this point. That seems to be the common advice running through all of the recommendations. I am not going to overspend my budget on a camera because all of the other costs have to be factored in too.

If you can make pancakes you can process film. The SP-445 is extremely simple and convenient. Processing your own film is more than just saving money. You don't have to wait 7-10 days to get your results back. You can see how things turned out as soon as you get home. You could even process the film out in the field if you have a dark bag to load the tank, but you'd have to haul a to of water and stuff along.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I'd say there's one exception to that statement, in the Arca Swiss cameras (All Round CAmera made in Switerland, now in France) that were specifically designed to bridge the gap between field and monorail cameras. Very light, portable, yet still sturdy and precise.

That said, I would not recommend one to the OP, as they are very expensive and not as common (e.g. parts availability) as many of the more common brands in the USA, and probably not what you want to start out on.