Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flash Cable for Kodak Supermatic Shutter

Re: Flash Cable for Kodak Supermatic Shutter

Man my memory is getting bad. I just got this back less than a month ago from service. I think the tech may have asked me if I wanted it modified. I just read a thread that said there was a later version of this shutter called X made for electronic flash. Mine must have been converted as it fires the electronic studio flash at either setting and if I look through the shutter it appears to be fully open either way. I also read about the button and it is for holding open the shutter for focusing. Set speed, cock shutter while holding button in, when finished cock shutter again and shutter will close.

I looked everywhere for a connector like you used. I know I had one at some point but just threw away a lot of electronic parts I was hoarding. Figures I need one now. I also use to make light fixtures and used molex connectors, but their terminals are too small. I found a cord that came with a lighting fixture. I removed some of the plastic between the connectors so I could squeeze them together. It works but will keep looking for a better fit. I'm anxious to test this lens and you got me going!
    Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3282.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	202215

Quote Originally Posted by sruddy View Post
    Man my memory is getting bad. I just got this back less than a month ago from service. I think the tech may have asked me if I wanted it modified. I just read a thread that said there was a later version of this shutter called X made for electronic flash. Mine must have been converted as it fires the electronic studio flash at either setting and if I look through the shutter it appears to be fully open either way. I also read about the button and it is for holding open the shutter for focusing. Set speed, cock shutter while holding button in, when finished cock shutter again and shutter will close.

I looked everywhere for a connector like you used. I know I had one at some point but just threw away a lot of electronic parts I was hoarding. Figures I need one now. I also use to make light fixtures and used molex connectors, but their terminals are too small. I found a cord that came with a lighting fixture. I removed some of the plastic between the connectors so I could squeeze them together. It works but will keep looking for a better fit. I'm anxious to test this lens and you got me going!
    Thanks.

Electronic flash will fire at any setting. But that does not mean that it is synchronized. To determine that you fire the flash at a wall while looking through the back of the lens. If you see a clear, bright circle of light it is synced at that speed. Try all your speeds, a synched leaf shutter will synch at all speeds with strobe.
    Be you do not see a clear bright circle or a cut off circle it is not synched at that shutter speed.

Just firing the flash only tells you that the circuit is complete. Not synched.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Electronic flash will fire at any setting. But that does not mean that it is synchronized. To determine that you fire the flash at a wall while looking through the back of the lens. If you see a clear, bright circle of light it is synced at that speed. Try all your speeds, a synched leaf shutter will synch at all speeds with strobe.
    Be you do not see a clear bright circle or a cut off circle it is not synched at that shutter speed.

Just firing the flash only tells you that the circuit is complete. Not synched.
    Great advice Bob, It does appear the shutter is fully open during the flash output. The timing amy have been off for you to catch my comment about that, above yours. :-)
    about that

Quote Originally Posted by sruddy View Post
    Mine must have been converted as it fires the electronic studio flash at either setting and if I look through the shutter it appears to be fully open either way.

Houston we have flash. Took this at 1/200th and processed in a Sidekick which I haven’t got completely working yet.

Name:	9E930FA1-5A8D-4711-991C-70B402857B1C.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	202267

This iPhone capture looks like crap. The Ektar lens seems to be razed sharp even to the edges.