Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix and Ebony's are gorgeous & Old Kodak 2D's are UGLY but they have their place

Re: Chamonix and Ebony's are gorgeous & Old Kodak 2D's are UGLY but they have their p

Quote Originally Posted by McSnood View Post
    But I will stand behind my comment that expensive equipment doesn't make you a better photographer.
    I don't think anyone here thinks that at all.

Obviously tools can only do what they were designed to do, and sometimes we choose different tools to do different things. And sometimes those tools are expensive. As an example, it is physically impossible to make the same exact print from a 35mm negative as from a 4x5 negative - the aesthetic of the image will be different due to the different enlargement ratios. Whether or not that is a significant issue is another rabbit hole.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Chamonix and Ebony's are gorgeous & Old Kodak 2D's are UGLY but they have their p

I am in complete agreement with Monty and Bob. A camera is a tool and experience has taught me that the features of the camera that lend themselves to allowing me to make the images I choose as efficiently and effectively as possible are what I spend my money on. That does not mean that I could not make similar images with far less expensive cameras. It is a "consumer" choice. I elect to monetize my investment in exposing sheet film in a manner that lends itself to the platforms and optics that I can rely upon when called upon. And invariably that means I photograph with modern designed and manufactured large format cameras and multi coated optics. The same is true with the film I choose to expose. It is not the cheapest - it is what I know will perform as intended. Others may choose a different course of action and that is their personal choice.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 1-Apr-2020 at 20:04. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by McSnood View Post
    ...But I will stand behind my comment that expensive equipment doesn't make you a better photographer.
    True, but with few exceptions and stupidity aside, one tends to get what one pays for in photography. The 4x5 I used for years ($220 new in '82) as my only LF camera would drive some people nuts...lent it to a friend who quickly returned it. Some people can't handle the lack of indents and zeroing marks, lol, but it had the one quality I valued...versatility and packability at 2.5 pounds w/ lens. But the geared (limited) movements on the 5x7 Eastman View No.2 are pretty sweet!

Cliché, but cameras are tool. As we use our tools to create images, the tools are influencing how we make our images.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

View camera is essentially a light tight box that is flexi in the middle with a method of holding a image recording device (film, digital imager or _) at one end, lens support holder at the other end with flexi supports at the ends that can be adjusted then stable.

That said, not much into style or appearance, it's all functionality and meeting the needs of the lenses required to produce the print image goals. There is nothing romantic or vintage appealing to me about any camera, it MUST do its job with precision, no real limitations on lenses to be used, reliable, durable and be essentially transparent as a image making tool.

Having been and done the wood folder thing, then the metal folder thing.. these don't do what a Sinar system can do, except not all images makers need what the Sinar system is fully capable of..

Essentially, any view camera, any lens and all related is mere tools to achieve the print image goal. Once any experiences image maker is up to speed on using a view camera, the camera essentially become mostly the same, choice becomes a preference much like paint brushes, musical instruments and such. Other factor, what would an experienced image maker willing to tolerate in their Camera, Lens, Film holders, Film, Loupe, Dark Cloth, Tripod-camera support, Light meter, Cable release and....

Bernice

Drew Wiley

I like precision. Even my most basic folder, a Phillips 8x10, is made of a wood/fiberglass composite pickled with marine epoxy, making it very warp-resistant. Even the softer cherrywood parts are epoxy impregnated. Any my little Ebony is made of true pattern-grade mahogany that was cured for 20 years or more. That is a special cut of highly dimensionally-stable mahogany unobtainable new anymore; and even if you could acquire it, it would still have to be cured for many years. And there are significant distinctions in metals too. True die-cast components are very expensive to make. Even diecast and machined brass is a very different alloy from cheap cast brass. Yes, I use Sinar monorail gear too, and love it.

My late teacher's daughter bequeathed me HIS late teacher's 5x7 2D a few months back, along with 3 lenses including a 36cm Nicola Perscheid.
    It meets two important requirements; it holds a lens in place and it allows light to be transmitted thru that lens to a sheet of film. Also, the price can't be beat.
    Is it ugly? Nah, it has a well-worn patina. Would I like a nicer/fancier/more elaborate 5x7? Sure, but this is the one I have. Plus, it has a legacy.

Her name was Gerda Peterich. She was on the 2nd to last boat that got out of Nazi Germany to the US. She taught and she also did a lot of work for Dance Magazine, including these two shots of Merce Cunningham.
    I also had her Graphic View 4x5 which I have given to a friend's young daughter who has started her own business, has some serious skills at portraiture and has expressed an interest in learning to shoot film.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merc_1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	202186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merc_2-e1552412128593-1350x1016.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	202187

I'm not a moneybags, or (I hope) an unwise shopper, but I won't hesitate to drop cash on a piece of equipment that will help me work better, smoother, more efficiently, with less frustration and guesswork.
    This often means spending more, though it's easy to get fooled into thinking it's for the luxury aspect or something similar.
    I want as much "plug and play" as possible, this in turn frees up my brain and allows me concentrate on what I have to do.
    The gear that doesn't get in the way, and makes you forget it's even there, usually comes at a premium; if there's better DIY solution, that costs pennies n the dollar, I'm all for that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I'm not a moneybags, or (I hope) an unwise shopper, but I won't hesitate to drop cash on a piece of equipment that will help me work better, smoother, more efficiently, with less frustration and guesswork.
    This often means spending more, though it's easy to get fooled into thinking it's for the luxury aspect or something similar.
    I want as much "plug and play" as possible, this in turn frees up my brain and allows me concentrate on what I have to do.
    The gear that doesn't get in the way, and makes you forget it's even there, usually comes at a premium; if there's better DIY solution, that costs pennies n the dollar, I'm all for that, too.
    I can find myself admiring attractive equipment or nice workmanship when I don't really need those objects. I've started making myself do two things before buying any piece of equipment. I make myself record three specific instances of wishing I had it in a three month period. If I'm not going to use it more than that it's not worth having. Once I've done that and established to myself that I "need" it, I make myself wait a month. That takes impulse and the "new toy" factor out of the transaction.
    -Chris

Can you guess which one of these I'm using most these days?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L-45A.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	202189 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Minimalist 5x7 #2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	202190

Drew Wiley

Using for what? - campfire kindling or photography? Do you sign all your cameras?