Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo travel by vehicle, what's your favorite?

Re: Photo travel by vehicle, what's your favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by marcookie View Post
    My favorite is the bicycle ;p.

fantastic. And a sense of humor....

I've been thinking at long johns for photo excursions, but they damn expensive. esp if on gets e-assist.

something like this. If Iived somewhere flat, wouldn't need e-assist

https://curbsidecycle.com/products/f...performance-cx
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Darkness trains were essential in the 1960 and 1970. At that time, they were widely used. For several reasons, their decline began in the 1980s, and after 2000 it intensified, and several European countries removed them altogether. Most have a specific time when there are no night trains and day trains. Those at https://www.dbfahrplanauskunft.com/de/ have trained at different times at almost any time. It is always a train that emerges somewhere because it is a big company and has a good income.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    ...Now my ride is a 2002 Eurovan, Westfalia Weekender. A shorter van/wheelbase by 16" than the full size Eurovan camper. No stove or sink. Great one person photo machine.

But if I was to buy new: https://sportsmobile.com/sportsmobile-4x4/

Customized for sheet film developing up to 8x10, maybe 11x14
    Back when I lived in California I had a Eurovan Camper that I loved. It was great! Comfortable, both on the road and in the campsite. I took it several times to Yosemite. The great thing about it (I thought) was that I could park, then walk back between the front seats and I was in camp! Man! Was this ever handy when it was pouring rain! Mine had the sink and stove. So morning wash-up was to heat water for coffee, then use some of it to sponge-bathe at the little sink. Later on I spent some time with it in the Eastern Sierra and then over into Death Valley. It was a 1996, I believe. All I recall for sure is that it had the VR6 engine. It was a very capable vehicle. But not for offroad! I had bought it as a certified pre-owned vehicle. Eventually the transmission began to give out. More than once it would pop out of gear on starting out. The last time it left me sitting in the middle of an intersection. I was not amused. VW was also not amused at the thought of having to replace a transmission under warranty. But I did manage to get a very decent trade-in from them.

These days I'm driving a 2020 VW Atlas Cross-Sport. I wanted utility, but also comfort. And this gives me that. With the rear seats folded, it's 80 inches from the tailgate to the back of the front seats. So I can sleep in it. But it's not exactly convenient. And yeah, it's still a VW. But the transmission seems much more reliable. So far.
    I do like the idea of the transit van. And especially after looking at the Sportsmobile site! I could get very interested. But I'd have to sell my house (at least!) to even consider such. But hey! That's an idea. Just live permanently on the road in "hobohemia"! I'm sure I could get to like Mulligan Stew because after a Sportsmobile, I'm also sure that's about all I could afford to eat.

Posted this in a similar thread some time ago...might sound bizarre to some but my little 944 (circa 1987) is great to work out of - holds a ton of stuff...has a huge hatch with a high floor which saves my back when retrieving heavy gear. Great traction, tough as nails, gets 30mpg, and I do all my own maintenance. Plus loads of fun to drive to and between locations! PS: when ground clearance might be an issue...I take my wife's Forester and she drives the Porsche!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	'87na 944 - Maraschino Red.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	218302

Tom Hanks Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser and Airstream Auction Photos

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/...-cars-gallery/
    Tin Can

I miss my FJ-40 but I don’t miss putting gas in it. Nor the heat from the muffler which was under the floor directly below the driver’s seat.

Ha! I'd posted earlier on this very thread...not on a "similar" thread! (Jeesh...I wonder how many times this has happened to me on this forum?)

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    I miss my FJ-40 but I don’t miss putting gas in it. Nor the heat from the muffler which was under the floor directly below the driver’s seat.

Having driven an FJ-40 a couple thousand miles pulling a boat trailer on windy roads, I would not use one as a photo excursion vehicle. My back wouldn't be happy, nor my wallet. Nor my knuckles, I hate working on cars.

I've never owned a 40, but for a number of years I drove a FJ-55 with three speed on the tree. Top speed was maybe 55-60mph. The 4 speed on later models made them much more distance drivable.

I sold that for a Lexus LX450, which was basically an FZJ80 Landcruiser. And while they were both great vehicles, the 80 made going anywhere so easy. All day on the highway, then rock crawling with the axles locked. I haven't done "4-wheeling" in a long time, but I still feel a high clearance vehicle is a necessity for me in New Mexico because we have so many dirt roads going everywhere and those are the places I want to visit. Just the other day I discovered a shrine in the middle of the desert to Santo Niņo de Atocha.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...4d-107.2910625