Quote Originally Posted by nicnilov View Post
Adam, what exactly are the results you're hoping for and what you're getting that doesn't match them?

When digitizing B&W negatives I consider getting the linear source image of utmost importance before any subsequent manipulation. It is relatively easy to get that using a scanner, but comparably difficult with DSLR. A DSLR produces a linear raw file but pretty much any software working with raws automatically applies a profile, and with it a tonal response curve. It makes the picture look pretty but messes up all the shadows and highlights tonality. Although it is possible to interpret a DSLR raw linearly, it is not as straightforward. In the end it is about gamma control which is not difficult using profiles in Photoshop.
I believe you can get the linear file output using the manufacturers conversion software. Ie, do not use ACR or similar when importing the raw file. Another program I have will read the raw file with no manipulation or non-linearizing the file and then you can save it as a tiff file in that form. But this program is for astronomy.