Thread: Processing Troubles

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Foamer

Processing Troubles

Just this month I now have a Kodak 2D 8x10 and a SP810 tank. I've made three attempts at processing some FP4+ in the SP810. I have been using the SP445 for the past year and consistently got great results with it. For the first round with the SP810 I did four sheets FP4+ 4x5 sheets. They came out OK. I only used 475ml instead of 500ml fluid, mainly because my measuring cylinder is marked for use with the SP445 and I forgot. I next tried processing two sheets of 8x10 FP4+, and those didn't come out so well. I think the problem was I used an uncoated Dagor 240mm lens and pointed it south on a sunny day. Sure looked like a lot of flare going on. Second pair was shot on a heavy overcast day. One shot was taken Nikon 300mm f9 M, the second with a 300mm Velostigmat c.1930. I had a light leak with the first shot on one corner and I'm assuming I didn't insert the holder correctly. Second shot had all kinds of weirdness going on. I'm not sure what it's from. Thinking back I did up the fluid from 475ml to 500ml (distilled water and HC110.) I sort of guessed at how much HC110 to add and filled the syringe with just a bit more than what I had marked for 475ml. Water temp was 69 F so I set the timer for 7:30 minutes. Checking the temp of the fluid right before I dumped it I found it to be 73 F. Not sure why it gained four degrees in less than 7 minutes. Did two stop baths with tap water like I always do, used PF 4 fixer (fresh batch) for 5 minutes as I always do. Negative came out with weird areas that should have been white (frosted rock wall to the right of the waterfall.) Not sure what caused this--haven't seen it before. I narrowed it down to either too long a time developing for the temperature + too much HC110, or my agitation wasn't correct. I did four lifts of the tray every 30s, or about 10-15s agitation every 30s. I do full inversions with the SP445 which is much more intensive.

So, any ideas?

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails K2Dfalls1m.jpg   K2Dfalls2m.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!