What is the actual "speed" of the film being used? B&W film's actual "speed" or sensitivity to light will vary depending on a give batch-lot of film, developer used, needs of the print making process and more. Color transparency film is often very close to the speed noted on the box.

If you're just beginning LF, there are many other things and needs to be concerned about like loading film, setting up the camera, making sure the lens is stopped down to the needed aperture before exposure, setting the shutter speed, metering the scene to be imaged and ....

It takes LOTs of experience and wasted sheets of film before gaining the ability to get the image in mind in one sheet of film.

~Use the same techniques learned-gained from roll film and apply them in a more controlled fashion (avoid bracketing exposures) for LF and you should be OK.~

~Expect to waste LOTs of film initially. This IS part of the learning curve that is difficult to escape in the beginning.~

Being overly concerned about shutter speed accuracy (IMO, this Copal shutter is not a problem at all), lens performance and all that is not going to help one to progress up the learning curve. As with most learning, errors will be made, most important learning from the errors made is what matters most.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
Thanks Bernice, I understand. But I have to start somewhere. Large format photography is all knew to me I'm planning on shooting Tmax 100 BW and Velvia 50 chromes. When I shoot these in medium format, I meter for box speed and bracket +1 and -1 on my landscapes. (A pro lab processes). Now with LF 4x5, I'm not going to bracket like that, at least I didn't plan on it.

So what do you and others feel I should start with for these film and lens "in-accuracy" situation? SHould I just dial in 1/3 more on the meter's ISO setting from box speed? Ignore the errors?