Quote Originally Posted by gnd2 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I found a Heliar in a Compound shutter online that looks pretty nice, may spring for that. Would put a bit of a dent in the bank account but it's the only one I've found longer than 210mm that isn't a barrel lens.

The other suggestions are interesting too. I tend not to favor shorter focal lengths but may try something out since they're more affordable and could be a good experience.

Dan, I'm in Rancho Penasquitos, about 30 min from Carlsbad (in light traffic). Do you use your barrel lenses with a shutter of some sort?

For my barrel lenses (mainly for the 8 x 10), I put together a packard shutter that I can slip on to the front of them when I want to use it. It gives me about 1/20 sec exposure time. A lot of my images are done with a slow enough shutter speed that I can just do it with a lens cap. I also do the Gallli shutter approach many times when out in the field. If you don't know what that is, search on this site and you'll find out.

The heliar is a real nice lens and I use mine a lot (it doesn't have shutter). You might also look for a Schneider G-Claron - very sharp lens. I'm pretty sure that they make one at about 240 mm, and those many times are in shutter. Mine is for my 8 x 10 (355 mm).

If you are interested in making the drive up to Carlsbad after work some time and meet for dinner, let me know and we can see if we can coordinate a day when I'm in town. I'm always interested in meeting other LF photogs and talking shop. James Mickelson also lives in that area. He is a very good bromoil printer.