Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you be willing to take a survey on film photography equipment?

Re: Would you be willing to take a survey on film photography equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogicallyGrainy View Post
    Hey everyone!

I have had an overwhelming response to the survey. I GREATLY appreciate you taking the time to fill this out.

Looking at some of the comments above, I realize I probably should have introduced myself.

My name is Kalyn Davis (@kalyndavisphoto IG). I'm a software developer by day and Film photography (primarily large and medium) by night er... day.
    Using my enthusiasm for creating things with wood, software, and electronics I've started applying those to some problems I've encountered in my film photography journey. I want to assure everyone that I'm not trying to fish for a kickstarter to raise money for the sake of raising money. The things I'm building for myself I think could have a really positive impact and I'm trying to understand the market a little better though this survey.

While this is something I'm working on in my spare time and with my own money (I do not expect the market to fund prototypes or anything like that), I do want to be responsible in the way I share this with the market. When I mentioned I want this to be user serviceable, I am trying to make sure that the products aren't some black box and that there is no 'vendor' lock-in. The question about kickstarter or patreon is so that I can fund this when I get to a public release because I do want to make enough money from products I am making to be a viable source of income to create better/new products.

Currently, I am working on an led light source and darkroom light. I have a line of cameras that I'm planning to tackle next as I have complaints with my own Intrepid, but I'm in the darkroom now. So that's where I'm at.

I fully respect you not wanting to take a survey some random dude on the internet is asking you to take, but I want shed some light on who I am and what my intentions are.

If I can answer any questions, I'm more than happy to!
    First you should examine what has been or is being made.
    Secondly complaints with your camera does not mean that all cameras made or being made have those same shortcomings or problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    First you should examine what has been or is being made.
    Secondly complaints with your camera does not mean that all cameras made or being made have those same shortcomings or problems.
    I'm certainly keeping up with the market. I still find issues in one of these three categories: price, functionality, or serviceability.

While I do not expect EVERY camera has the same problem or every photographer has the same complaints, I do have my experiences that I am using to solve the problems I'm having. If there is even one or two others, that is enough for me.

I also feel the best way to bring in more interest into film is by having new products and a community constantly investing back into it.
    Last edited by AnalogicallyGrainy; 6-Jan-2020 at 20:29. Reason: spelling

Still too late an explanation

We live in dangerous times

Asking for email address is no longer viable

We have been KS burned more than once

I used to use my real name, not anymore

I see you don’t either

Good luck
    Tin Can

I took the survey. Only problem I have is that most of what I use has been tried and tested and works for me. As a result there is little I would buy. Small things, maybe - but not more than that. Last thing I bought for Large or Medium format film work was a Calcu-Light XP meter, to replace one that somehow walked off. Other than film, chemistry, mat board and frames there is little I would spend money on.

Looking at posts and questions here nothing has changed. Same questions now as when the forum started. Apparently many do not go to the front page and read the articles. Maybe because many are dated long ago? I don't know, but many answer the questions that are asked over and over again. Have learned a lot from those older and much more experienced than I am that most anything made works while some gear is a better fit for me than another in doing the same thing. Sometimes it took me a few tries to find the right fit. Once that has been found I'm not moving on to another piece of kit and having to get used to something new. I can spend the time and energy on images.

Good luck with your efforts. Hope it works out.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Still too late an explanation

We live in dangerous times

Asking for email address is no longer viable

We have been KS burned more than once

I used to use my real name, not anymore

I see you don’t either

Good luck
    I understand and I’m not trying to convince you specifically.

I def disagree about email. It’s the most direct way to keep in touch without asking for more information.

What do you mean that I don’t use my real name?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I took the survey. Only problem I have is that most of what I use has been tried and tested and works for me. As a result there is little I would buy. Small things, maybe - but not more than that. Last thing I bought for Large or Medium format film work was a Calcu-Light XP meter, to replace one that somehow walked off. Other than film, chemistry, mat board and frames there is little I would spend money on.

Looking at posts and questions here nothing has changed. Same questions now as when the forum started. Apparently many do not go to the front page and read the articles. Maybe because many are dated long ago? I don't know, but many answer the questions that are asked over and over again. Have learned a lot from those older and much more experienced than I am that most anything made works while some gear is a better fit for me than another in doing the same thing. Sometimes it took me a few tries to find the right fit. Once that has been found I'm not moving on to another piece of kit and having to get used to something new. I can spend the time and energy on images.

Good luck with your efforts. Hope it works out.
    I definitely need to venture into the threads more. I’m sure there is a gold mine of information there.

One of my struggles when starting out with a darkroom was the needed equipment and what is considered good and ideal from the used equipment just to reach that price point. I really want to make the introduction easier and more straightforward in that regard.

Very little darkroom equipment is still made. I have picked up stuff that's like new ( or new) for literally pennies on the dollar. No one prints anymore. Figure out a way to get young people into a darkroom, train them, provide them with the means etc. It has to be approached as a hobby. Very few people have the marketing skills to make a good living in photography these days.

Fujichrome is about 50 cents a shot for film, development and a simple scan. Color negative a little less.

I love my darkroom, nothing can replace the joy I get from film and big old cameras.

My recommendation is to get a job (intern) in one of the few places left that cater to photographers. If you can really write code that's what I would do.

I WAS looking for a 1968 Heathkit Color Canoe Rocking Stainless Steel Tray until early this morning. Bought NOS and anxiously waiting

Like panning for gold

Never saw one or used one

Jim Jones knew of them and seems like a great idea

I wish I had bought everything my local Heathkit store sold, I still see the store as I stared at it over lunch next door often...and I recall thinking, 'next week' until it disappeared...late 80's

Now I see they are back, sorta, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathkit
    Tin Can

I WAS looking for a 1968 Heathkit Color Canoe Rocking Stainless Steel Tray until early this morning. Bought NOS and anxiously waiting

Like panning for gold

I wish I had bought everything my local Heathkit store sold, I still see the store as I stared at it over lunch next door often...and I recall thinking, 'next week' until it disappeared...late 80's

I have the Nikor version in 8x10 and 11x14. I've seen one (1) 16×20 version in my life. The "Canoe" is the one to have, they take up a lot less space. Enjoy!

Like panning for gold

That's a really neat product that I didn't even know was made. I've only had experience with the flat trays and rocking those. Is there any concern with uneven development or do you just have to keep it moving?