Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Which of my 5 LF lenses are worth keeping or worth upgrading?

Re: Which of my 5 LF lenses are worth keeping or worth upgrading?

5x7 and 13x18cm film in the freezer, precisely what has been done since the early 90's and to this day. 5x7 & 13x18cm color film has often been a order ahead then keep it around then use as needed. B&W less so, but similar applies.

Gave up doing any 8x10 in the mid 90's with the realization 8x10 did not significantly improve the quality of BIG color prints over 5x7 (easy to get GOOD color prints during the 90's). Add to this, darkroom space needed for a proper 8x10 enlarger (Durst 810, anything less is not gonna do) was excessive for B&W prints. Yet, the step from 4x5 to 5x7 was a Significant improvement in image quality, specially if printing B&W at 2x from 5x7 to 10"x14".

GOOD 8x10 camera, lenses and all are a serious investment and more. These days, contact printing 8x10 and larger makes a LOT of good justifications for these big sheet film formats. If not, consider the long list of reasons why 8x10 and larger.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen View Post

I have a bunch of 5x7 color film in the fridge and freezer right now. I'm also a predominantly color shooter and migrated to 5x7 after my 8x10 kit had become too ponderous for field use. A group order usually occurs once each year per emulsion (Ektar less frequently, I'm not sure how popular the new Ektachrome has been). Managing film stock like this is a bit of a hassle, but it is very do-able. My back thanks me when I am out in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen View Post
    In the U.S. Kodak ships Portra 160 and 400, Ektar 100 and Ektachrome 100 in 5x7 through group orders via Keith Canham. In my experience he has been easy to reach on the phone if you would like more info.

https://www.canhamcameras.com/kodakfilm.html
    https://www.facebook.com/K-B-Canham-...1324393576850/

I have a bunch of 5x7 color film in the fridge and freezer right now. I'm also a predominantly color shooter and migrated to 5x7 after my 8x10 kit had become too ponderous for field use. A group order usually occurs once each year per emulsion (Ektar less frequently, I'm not sure how popular the new Ektachrome has been). Managing film stock like this is a bit of a hassle, but it is very do-able. My back thanks me when I am out in the field.
    Well, I'll be damned! That's AWESOME! In this case, I really will start considering migrating to a 5x7 camera.

Majority of your current lens set works on 5x7 _ 13x18cm negating the pressing need to acquire new lenses.

5x7 view cameras remain lower cost than 8x10 cameras even with the Foto current fashion of view camera images. Camera choice should be driven by image goals.

Film holders are mixed availability, but should be lower cost than 8x10 film holders. Other than these Foto items and figuring out film processing, you're mostly good to go.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    Well, I'll be damned! That's AWESOME! In this case, I really will start considering migrating to a 5x7 camera.