Great to hear this book was well enjoyed.

Edward Steichen was introduced to me by an artist fiend during the early 1980's he was inspirational in many ways and one of many Artist that affected my perception of what Photography and Art could be. There is much to learn from Artist like Edward Steichen as inspiration and examples of what expressive image making can be. They should always be noted as inspiration rather than emulation.

One of my fave music programs "From the Top" which highlights musically gifted youth was heard the story of one gifted performer telling how his music teacher-mentor coached and directed the many practice exercises over many years of musical instrument learning. There came a time when this
music teacher-mentor told him time has come to greatly limit these practice exercises and give each piece of music learned YOUR own voice and interpretation. Much the same can be applied to creative image making where great Artistic works from accomplished Artist like Edward Steichen can be used as learning and inspiration to help a developing Artist find their own creative voice.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
The vgc First Edition BOOK arrived, best $9 delivered I ever spent.

I am going to take this book slow. I just read the introduction written by Edward Steichen, which had me in tears a couple times. Why? Because he shows he had 'nature' but 'nurture' clearly, by mother, directed his early path. I also believe the 1890's was a period of intense innovation in many fields. Took decades to realize the technology fully.

I love his tale of accidentally kicking the tripod and liking the result. Innovation by happenstance and recognition.

more later