Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 150mm 4x5 Best Lens

150mm 4x5 Best Lens

I've owned Caltars and Sinarons but I haven't tested them side by side. But regardless, I always treasured my beautiful Sinarons more than my crappy Caltars. And, given that they must do some sort of QC at the factory, it does make sense that Calumet would get the left side of the bell curve while the German manufacturers would get the right.

But I really think the biggest difference between the rebranded lenses is ~20% plus or minus in resale value.

150mm 4x5 Best Lens

Rather than buying one lens, testing it with absolute measurements, and selling if you are not pleased, may I suggest that you always buy at least two lenses at a time, and return the lesser one ? This way, you have a sound comparison to make, and you incur only maybe $10 of shipping. I always found evaluating the results too tedius, but how with Imatest (imatest.com), I can automate the process and remove the subjectivity.

150mm 4x5 Best Lens

"My guess is that what Linhof actually tested for wasn't sharpness, but focus stability when stopped down (no focus shift). "

Here's what Linhof says they do (or did):

"Before they find their way to photographers all over the world all lenses are thoroughly examined and checked to make sure they correspond to the most critical tolerances and to guarantee their perfect functioning with the corresponding Linhof camera. These tests cover the optical performance of the lens as well as the mechanical and electronic functioning of the shutters and only if a lens has passed will it be engraved with the Linhof name and transferred to the other production departments for final assembly, mounting, and rangefinder coupling." Linhof Report - The Complete System of Linhof Photography.

Based on that description I'd question the wisdom of paying a premium for a "Linhof Select" lens on the used market. Much of what was done involved matching the lens to a particular camera, a benefit that's obviously lost once the lens and camera are separated. Also, with an older lens and shutter it seems to me that sheer age and usage would have a greater effect on the lens' current performance than their specs and condition when they left the factory.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

150mm 4x5 Best Lens

How about a nice 15 cm f:2.8 Planar or Xenotar? Isn't that supposed to be the "BEST" lens?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

150mm 4x5 Best Lens

What happened to Super Symar XL 150?
    I own it, and the Fuji 240A, and although I have not done target test, the XL is every bit as sharp as the 240A. Of course, of the 13 LF lenses I use, I have no others that measure up to these two for sharpness, as well as contrast.

150mm 4x5 Best Lens

"I would like to keep it reasonably light for backpacking"

I'd guess that is why no-one mentioned the SS150XL...

150mm 4x5 Best Lens

"How about a nice 15 cm f:2.8 Planar or Xenotar? Isn't that supposed to be the "BEST" lens?"

There has never been a 150mm Planar for large format.

150mm 4x5 Best Lens

"I would like to keep it reasonably light for backpacking"

Aw what's a few ounces! Seriously! Leave your pocket change at home, diet a couple pounds and be happy.

150mm 4x5 Best Lens

The SS150XL is also in a separate price class ($1,895 new at Badger, versus $795 for either the Rodenstock or Fuji discussed above). I too own the SS150XL, and it's a stunning lens.....on 8x10! If you already are shooting a larger format, then it's certainly an attractive option if you don't mind the weight; if you're shooting only 4x5, one of the smaller plasmats will most likely be sufficient.