Time for a review, I have had the camera for 5 months now.
Back in April this year I ordered a Stenopeika Hyper Advanced 4x5. Delivery was significantly quicker than I usually see for intrepid and first impressions were very good, easy to set up, simple controls, great focusing system, not included in the base model, and a really nice ground glass. The camera features simple magnetic back for changing between landscape and portrait and the bellows also clip in/out on magnets.
The focusing system moves the rear standard, with course movement on rails for the front standard.
All in all its a lovely camera but I have discovered a few issues that let it down and outweigh the good points. I have been getting light leaks on the back, the top and bottom of the film holder slot are open and sealing relies on felt that is obviously not doing what it’s supposed to, the manufacturer shipped a replacement back but being hand made the ground glass holder didn’t line up with the hole in the camera back, the new back is currently lined up to be modified to universal standard, to close the gaps top and bottom. The back springs are a little bit and miss, not always holding the back square, I am sure these could be improved, another reason I am modifying the spare back.
Probably the one thing that worries me most. I took it out to the beach last month, bit of a windy evening, I noticed that both the front and rear standards vibrated in the wind, there is a small bit of flex in the wood at the base of the front and rear standards, both don’t appear to be rigid enough and there is movement in the rails, the rails chosen for the Hyper cameras have far to much play for the designed use.
The hyper cameras are manufactured out of Plywood, as usual with a lot of this type of camera, cutting plywood does splinter the outer surfaces, slightly unsightly but no real impact on function, maybe a different method of cutting could solve this.
About a month ago I ordered bag bellows for the camera so that I can use a beautiful 65mm lens on it, received the usual invoice email, but nothing since, no update on expected delivery, sent a FB message last week which I know has been seen but not responded too.
All in all maybe I should have saved a bit longer and gone for a Wista or Tachihara.