Thread: 4x5 enlargers and lenses

4x5 enlargers and lenses

Hi,

I've found somebody selling an old Omega D2 with only a 50mm lens. What would happen if I tried to enlarge a 4x5 negative using that lens? Would it work?

He's asking $30, but it doesn't come with any negative carriers or lens cones for longer lenses. If I can't enlarge using the 50mm, I'll probably pass since I don't want to sink a lot of money into it.

Thanks.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

4x5 enlargers and lenses

i think you'd get a circular projection of the middle of your negative.

4x5 enlargers and lenses

For $30 dollars I would crab it. The D2 is a work hourse of an enlarger. I may have extra lens cones and negative carriers, just not a lens. I will have to check before you qoute me on that. Email me off line if you are interested. Also is it a d2v or does it have a cold light head? I would be interested in a cold light head for that price. Don't give up on it so soon all the parts you need are out there. That is not much to sink into an enlarger.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

4x5 enlargers and lenses

I use an old D2 enlarger - love it. Well worth $30 for certian. You'll likely spend another $100 - if you shiop around and buy used - for a new cone (you need a cone instead of a lensboard for 4x5), used 135 or 150mm lens, and a 4x5 carrier.

the good news is the parts are easily found on the net or on ebay. It may take you a couple of weeks, but the Omega D2 is something that can last you a long time, si easily serviced, and parts are reasonably easy to find.

As to which used enlarger lens is best to get - that's almost worth starting another thread.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

4x5 enlargers and lenses

If you want a 4x5 enlarger, that may or may not be the best bet. The key is whether it has the 4x5 condenser or has the variable condenser. I am not real familiar with the non-variable condenser (that is I could not tell the difference between a 35mm condenser or a 4x5 condenser), but the D2V has a box on top where you can move the condenser to different positions. If has the 4x5 condenser or is a variable condenser model, I'd grab it. You can make carriers out of matt board if you need to. I have an extra 4x5 glassless carrier if you end up going that route (too lazy to list it on ebay!). There is everything you need on ebay.

4x5 enlargers and lenses

It sounds like its set up for enlarging 35mm. If it is, you'll need to add a new lens, either a 135 or 150mm (good ones are pretty cheap on eBay---digital fallout no doubt) A lens cone, negative carrier and disc for mounting the lense and lastly a set of condensing lenses if its not a variable condensing enlarger OR a cold lite. Aristo aren't all that expensive new and you can get used ones quite cheap but the old ones probably won't handle VC paper without the newer tubes. I'd Figure to add at least $200+ unless you happen to luck out at a swap meet or garage sale and get what you need for pennies. Thats still pretty cheap for a 4x5 enlarger--and a very good enlarger at that.

Good luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

4x5 enlargers and lenses

The D-2 is a tank. The older the better. Here in NJ. there's a swap meet once a month. A 3" cone is $20. New negative carriers $30. Used, way cheaper. The Omega D is such a standard that any cold light worth having is made for a D series. I use a ZoneVI VC but an Aristo #54 is much cheaper, will drop in and works with VC paper. Anything you need for a D-2 is available including condensers.

4x5 enlargers and lenses

I bought a used D2 that I did not know had some minor imperfections on the condensers. New ones were $150 10 years ago. The minor imperfections showed on every print.

You can make a cone for a 135 or 150 as they are just a truncated cone on a flat board. A 135 cone is 3" and a 150 is about 5". Make a box from aircraft plywood and put it on a board made from a pattern of the existing flat board. Paint flat black. This will do until you find the proper part or you may never change it.

If the machine has 6" condensers in the variable head or round aluminun can as fixed condensers you have the proper condensers for 4x5. Smaller condensers will not illuminate the full 4x5 neg.