Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

Re: Rebuilding a Deardorff 11x14 Studio Stand

I never moved the adjustment screws, no need

The o-rings are a puzzle, maybe spares were installed to use as the others wore out, maybe keep dust and junk out of the felt damper/friction lock, which could make it useless. Or markers as Peter suggests

I would think an afterthought similar to the 2 Stanley Tape measures installed on my FOTAR enlarger

I do think the cast aluminum sliders could be broken if forced by out of alignment steel posts as the chains are strong enough to...
    Tin Can

I am a bit nervous to change my adjustment screws... I will probably try shimming with washers first, and then once totally convinced that my adjustment is correct, use the screws to make it semi-permanent (assuming that I can move them). No idea about the o-rings...

That's a good plan, and it's certainly possible that your issue is caused by something else. Once quick way to check alignment is to level the base using the levelers. Now put a level on the uprights in various places to check for plumb.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

My stand was in good shape, but it had some rust on the bottom of the base. I also had some on a Century Centennial stand. These parts are black cast iron. What I've done is to clean them off and then wire brush the rusty parts. The goal is to remove loose pieces, but it isn't to remove all of the rust. Vacuum/brush off. Then pain on Rustoleum Rust Converter. It goes on white, but it chemically changes the rust. It leaves a black, satiny finish that looks great. It fits in very well with the non-rusted parts.

I'm at the stage where I'm getting the camera platform ready to mount on the uprights. Unfortunately, I don't have the aluminum shoes/brakes as Jason showed earlier, the one's he lined with felt. The question, how useful are those brakes? I'm trying to figure out if I should spend the time fabricating replacement shoes/brakes.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

My stand has no accommodation for the felt/aluminum brakes. I have them somewhere but might not find them many years from now

Do you have the levers Jason showed in post 32? I don't.

I set my brakes usually last after all other platform adjustments are made.

Even then, I just snug them against shake, the 2 hand wheels that lock the platform tilt are far more important.

See pic

SC11 Stand lock by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Peter, I suspect that my stand is different from yours and Randy's. I think the stand lock that Randy showed above serves the same purpose, which is just to lock it in place.

As an aside, I am on hiatus from stand assembly, hopefully will get back to it next week. I bought new chains and will try to replace them soon.

I'm pretty sure that mine are the same as Jason's. There's a lever on each side of the sleeves that rides the columns that moves a cam on the inside, obviously to press a fitting against the upright.. The inside of the sleeves look just like the picture that Jason showed.

I’ll try to find the ones I have

From memory they had no felt, maybe 2x1” rectangles with 2 bends to slightly cup a post.

They could be made from steel easier.
    Tin Can

Thanks, Randy! But please don't go to any Herculean effort. They shouldn't be too hard to make, if needed.

I probably have to pull my stand apart again, if so I will make measurements.