Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Multi-format rollfilm back questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sinar Multi-format rollfilm back questions

Hi, I'd like to ask a couple of questions to anyone familiar with the Sinar Zoom 2 Multi-format rollfilm back. I'm new to LF, and would like to get a rollfilm b ack for my Wisner 4x5 Pocket Expedition. I love the idea of being able to change formats midroll with the Sinar, but...

1) Does anyone know the unit's size/weight? I'm guessing it looks roughly simila r to a Fuji Quickload holder. I've checked Sinar's webpages for US and Switzerla nd, and B&H's catalogue, but there is no info for size/weight. I'm interested in its 6x7, 6x9, and 6x12 formats for landscape use. I want to include it in my ba ckpack, and am concerned about adding more bulk & weight to an already hefty pac k. I assume that this single unit would weigh less, and use less room, than if I got single-format backs for just 6x7 and 6x12 formats?

2) If I obtain a "like-new" used unit that *appears* to be in excellent shape, a re there any hidden flaws that I need to watch out for? Can it come out of film plane alignment, etc? I've not yet used a rollfilm back, so don't know much abou t them other than what I've gleaned from review of online questions.

Thanks in advance for any advice

It is bulkier, especially on the end where the film cartridge goes. About 2.5x t he weight of a Quickload holder, and longer by about an inch. But yes it is smaller and less bulky thatn say two Horseman roll film backs.

2.) It is standard Sinar quality, which is to say very high.

You want to make sure your camera has a Graflok mechanism to hold the back firml y in place.

I dunno Bob, read the instructions?

The frame counter is a bit desorienting at first. It shows instead of frames, th e length of film still available for both 120 and 220 films.

Actually, no Graflok back is required. It slides in just like a regular film holder. The one concern I have is the tension on the springs that hold the GG. It'll be on my list of questions for Ron Wisner when I attend the Death Valley workshop in January. (Is it January yet? Please?!)

Sinar brouchure says it weighs 980g.

Horseman for 4x5 graflock: 6x12 weighs 590g, 6x7/6x9 weighs 530g

Fuji Quickload weighs 343g without plastic end cap.

Sinar is much bulkier to pack, but you won't have to remove ground glass.

Or, you can buy alot of QL film for $2000 and crop.

Quite simple Ellis. There is no frame counter.

Want to try and figure out how much film is left after switching formats in the middle of the roll?

Carrying one each of the 6X7cm and 6X12cm Horseman backs would be about the same weight as the Sinar Zoom II, they would be bulkier and require a graflock back with removable ground glass. A graflock back is not an issue with the Zoom II as there are no notches for the locks on the back. The Zoom II will also use either 120 or 220 roll film, but it's very complicated to tell just how many frames are left on the roll.

Used units are available for about $1500. I haven't heard any complaints about film plane alignment, but did once get a grain of sand on the rubber roller inside and it scratched he film. Earlier zoom backs are tough to get repaired.

I have seen these sell on ebay for about $1200 used. I considered this also, but for the amount of money involved, I instead bought a 6x9 back that slides in like a film holder (Toyo) ... This was the easiest to use, I did not have to go through the trouble of removing the back and installing the roll film holder..and I can crop down to 6x7 with very little waste.. as for 6x12, it is only slightly more expensive to shoot 4x5 and crop.. so if you are concerned about weight and size, 6x9 is a nice happy medium and you can still get all the formats you want.. as mentioned in the above thread, you can buy a lot of extra film and processing for $1500! It may be a 10 year payback for the film savings on the Sinar!

Danny, I have not the Zoom II but the Vario. The shape is the same and the weight proba bly not much different. It weighs less than a kilo, just a little more than a Cambo C 243 an d looks like it with a slightly bigger film case. It's size is 2,5 cm thick for the insert part, 24 cm overall in length, 17 cm overall height with the commands and 6 cm overall thickness. I think it is a ver y good choice if you are fortunate to find a used one. Depending on how it has been treated and how much it has been used, watch if the mechanic functions well and if the sliding curtain is in good shape . Light leaks can occur on a damaged curtain. No worries for the film plane alignment. The Sinar backs r equire a little bit more attention than other backs but when you get accustomed, they are no problem . The spring back of the camera must be designed to carry insert type magazines, otherwise the spring s can be damaged.