Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how to notch film holder

Re: how to notch film holder

Doremus:
    Thanks! BTW, I followed to your site - FABULOUS shots. WoW.
    That said, I wonder whether some day you might upload an iPhone shot of one of your film holders... if they're different in treatment from the 1st photo on this thread. Nothing like seeing what works for the expert. Thanks!

Skip

Actually, there's a decent youtube on notching film holders. The trick though I believe is to let the holder record the notches when you remove the darkslide with film in it actually in the camera. What I'm seeing is that footprint of the filmholder that is inside the camera that is visible for light to record a notch is pretty doggone small. The way some of these load on my cameras, the side rails are visible and the short side opposite the flap. This could get tricky. I'm thinking to try a couple of small holes with a tiny jeweler's drill spacing the 4 or 5 possibles far enough apart to read and yet hope I don't need more than a pin hole in size.

Quote Originally Posted by roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau View Post
    Doremus:
    Thanks! BTW, I followed to your site - FABULOUS shots. WoW.
    That said, I wonder whether some day you might upload an iPhone shot of one of your film holders... if they're different in treatment from the 1st photo on this thread. Nothing like seeing what works for the expert. Thanks!

Skip
    Thanks for the compliment!

I don't have any unloaded film holders at the moment - just loaded them all. I'll try to post a photo of the notches when I develop a batch.

In the meantime, you can search here and over at Photrio for my notching system if you like.

Best,

Doremus

Skip, re: drilling, I recall Ansel Adams noting the importance of ensuring that no snags of metal remain that could scratch the film or fall off and getting into the holder.

Re: notching, after loading, be sure to tap bottom of holders, vertically, on the counter/table top, to seat the film at the bottom so that the edge will show the notches.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau View Post
    Actually, there's a decent youtube on notching film holders. The trick though I believe is to let the holder record the notches when you remove the darkslide with film in it actually in the camera. ...
    Some holders I have bought had a marking system of small holes drilled in a side rail (see image below...upper right). It seems like a simple way to go about it. Work out a pattern/system for the holes, drill, some very fine sandpaper to keep em smooth, clean out well and you are set to rock and roll!

Of course the downfall of any notching or drilling system...if there is an area of pure black in the scene in the same area as the notch/hole -- the notch/hole will be also be clear on the film rebate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YNPBoysLF.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks everyone. This is a great list. Yesterday I notched 6 holders which took a while. Fact is it was a waaaaay longer while than I expected. First I put the film holders on the camera and marked the side rails where they "showed" looking through the Front Standard. Neither of the short ends showed in my cameras so I scratched that idea. The longer sides showed on both, so that's what I went with. Drilled holes, but those didn't really seem to touch the film. Bummer.

Each film holder has a slide for the Dark Slide and then another slide for the film to seat on whenever the fingers figure that out. As I learned and as I think Doremus details above, only this second lower level really needs the notching. Live and learn.

I drilled both with a single hole. Like I said, that didn't look like it was going to do the trick, so I found an Exacto and cut the top of the film slide with V notches at the same location as the (now referred to) "guide hole". Will likely skip the "guide holes" on the rest of my film holders once I test these 6 out. I'm now a bit concerned that the holes might actually work and 'cause some unwanted flare. Don't ask me how, but anything is possible with the sun... ask the body parts I always forget to put suntan lotion on.... the sun will find a way if it can. If nothing happens, great. If it does, I'll refill the holes with some carefully applied wood putty, sand, etc. Otherwise, I did buy some Sharpies to darken where the wood is no longer black.... 'just 'cause it will look better. Nice clean cuts are harder to do than I thought: Might actually have to get a jig.

And yes, as detailed in the thread, I used the binary system with a twist: I've numbered my holders with one number and then A and B. So my first column is Binary 1 (blank) if it's the A side and a notch if it's the B side. Might find that Eleanor Rigby's on the B side of Yellow Submarine? Don't think so. But the rest follows the binary as laid out here and in Monochrome... and yes, I have that paperweight, too.

Will test ASAP. Thanks!!!