Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy used lenses, etc?

Re: Where to buy used lenses, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I am all done buying military/government lenses. I'm satiated! Now the issue is how to get rid of some!
    I'll have the LGM's come pick them up while you're snoozing.

Thank you one and all for your input! I'm getting back into 4x5 film after almost 30 years with 35mm and FF digital. Some of the places I relied on are gone (Calumet, for instance) and gone are the days of buying new lenses from the guys in Brooklyn. I'm comfortable with Ebay and facebook, but living in western Wyoming there aren't a lot of LF doodads for sale on FB locally.

Ordered the Chamonix 45F-2, extension board, and protective leather wrap. I really liked the mechanics of the 45H-1 better, but not enough bellows extension. Now I'm looking for a meter , film holders, loupe, and the following lenses.

A wide angle that I can use for low-angle foreground to distant landscape photos. Like a 90 - 110mm. Suggestions? Was lusting after a Schneider Super-Symar XL 110mm f5.6 until I read of a possible haze issue.

Fujinon CM-W or NW in 125mm and 150mm (or 135 or 180, all are f5.6) I don't care about filter size. My FF digital stuff weighs a ton and I have hauled it everywhere, have filters from 42 - 105mm and it just is what it is. Have considered buying a donkey to haul it around, though.

Fujinon A 240 f9

Nikkor M 300mm f9

Best regards, Brian

90mm lenses are extremely common. Do a search and you'll find many, many threads that will give you more opinions than you'll possibly know what to do with. The short answer is, Nikkor 90mm f/8 and be done with it.

Any modern lenses from Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikkor, or Fuji will be just fine. You probably don't need 4 lenses to start out but really none of us can tell you what YOUR preference on lens selection will be. I'm a wide-angle guy and use a 58mm or 90mm probably 80% of the time. I have a Nikkor 300mm f/9 but have used it maybe a handful of times on 4x5...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I had a Super Symmar XL 110. It was my all-time favorite lens. Unfortunately, I had to sell it at one point. A 90mm f/6.8 is a really nice lens. I have one and use it a fair amount. On the other side, I have a 120mm Super Angulon, which I use when I need a lot of movements. Otherwise, I use a 125mm Fujinon, the one with 55mm threads. It small and sharp, but it does have less range for movements.

With 240mm, also consider a Germinar-W. I have one, and it's excellent. They're somewhat scarce, though, and I'm not sure what current pricing is.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Creek View Post
    Thank you one and all for your input! I'm getting back into 4x5 film after almost 30 years with 35mm and FF digital. Some of the places I relied on are gone (Calumet, for instance) and gone are the days of buying new lenses from the guys in Brooklyn. I'm comfortable with Ebay and facebook, but living in western Wyoming there aren't a lot of LF doodads for sale on FB locally.

Ordered the Chamonix 45F-2, extension board, and protective leather wrap. I really liked the mechanics of the 45H-1 better, but not enough bellows extension. Now I'm looking for a meter , film holders, loupe, and the following lenses.

A wide angle that I can use for low-angle foreground to distant landscape photos. Like a 90 - 110mm. Suggestions? Was lusting after a Schneider Super-Symar XL 110mm f5.6 until I read of a possible haze issue.

Fujinon CM-W or NW in 125mm and 150mm (or 135 or 180, all are f5.6) I don't care about filter size. My FF digital stuff weighs a ton and I have hauled it everywhere, have filters from 42 - 105mm and it just is what it is. Have considered buying a donkey to haul it around, though.

Fujinon A 240 f9

Nikkor M 300mm f9

Best regards, Brian
    Donkeys are very cool!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks again, everyone!

Glad someone else understands the imperative of CDO. And just how am I supposed to properly arrange an uneven number of eggs in a carton?

Brian

I'm kind of obsessive wrt composition, so I'm pretty sure that 4 lenses are just the tip of the iceberg.

So am I. And I also own waaaaay too many lenses. But I don't carry all of them, ever.

But, really, just buy a couple of lenses and start shooting, and then figure out where you want to go from there. 90mm and 150mm is a great start for most people. If you tend to shoot longer on your other cameras, maybe 150/240. There's a lot of stuff to carry, and while I know some claim to carry 10 lenses in 20-30mm increments, curiously none of them seem to shoot that much or post many photos...so take that how you will .
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

My grandfather used to say they were "land poor". I think I am "lens poor".

One member uses mules.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Donkeys are very cool!
    Tin Can