Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trial with the new B's 4x5 Developing reel

Re: Trial with the new B's 4x5 Developing reel

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Perhaps, tank inclination helps mixing inside.

I would use more dilute developer and fill the tank almost full.. not 100% full.
    yes... but still we would waste a lot of developer in that way.

Say that we use Xtol diluted 1:2, 6 sheets require 150ml stock, so 450ml of dilution, beyond that we are wasting developer.

I use Rodinol for everything. 10ML per 80 sq inches, usually 1/100.

ymmv

Sometimes I use PQ, rarely.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    yes... but still we would waste a lot of developer in that way.

Say that we use Xtol diluted 1:2, 6 sheets require 150ml stock, so 450ml of dilution, beyond that we are wasting developer.
    Tin Can

I've used the B's reel with inversion agitation and never had any issues. I was thinking about getting the processor so I'm glad I stumbled across this post. FWIW, Beniot is working on an extension piece that will "jostle" the tank as it rotates. See attached. He told me that he planned to have this up on his website last weekend, but I just checked and it's not there. Since the store will be closed for a month in a few days, I'd suspect we won't see this new piece until late August at the earliest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bext.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	193281

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I've used the B's reel with inversion agitation and never had any issues. I was thinking about getting the processor so I'm glad I stumbled across this post. FWIW, Beniot is working on an extension piece that will "jostle" the tank as it rotates. See attached. He told me that he planned to have this up on his website last weekend, but I just checked and it's not there. Since the store will be closed for a month in a few days, I'd suspect we won't see this new piece until late August at the earliest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bext.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	193281
    I got that piece with my order as a freebie. I didn’t use it on my first test
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

You may be able to make a simple wedge, either directly by sawing a piece of timber, or by using a block at one end to make a platform that directly counters the angle of the unit.

You may need to ensure the tank doesn't walk off the the left of the drive wheels by placing it near a solid object, maybe a wall.

Looks interesting, but I would be a bit worried about water getting inside the power unit, either via the knob or the power inlet. One day things will get wet, trust me. :-)

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    You may be able to make a simple wedge, either directly by sawing a piece of timber, or by using a block at one end to make a platform that directly counters the angle of the unit.

You may need to ensure the tank doesn't walk off the the left of the drive wheels by placing it near a solid object, maybe a wall.

Looks interesting, but I would be a bit worried about water getting inside the power unit, either via the knob or the power inlet. One day things will get wet, trust me. :-)

Mick.
    I talked with Benoît yesterday and he said 500ml is the max. My concern also is that the Paterson tank lid will leak chemicals onto the power end. I’ve already decided to put a sheet of plastic on top of the power unit just Incase it does leek.
    Neil

Maybe not exactly relevant, but my Jobo 2500 tank plus 2509 reel takes 270ml and the tank rotates on a simple roller base that rests on the inside base of a tray. It approximates horizontal. I'm surprised that you cannot simply wedge the roller system so that its rotational axis is horizontal.
    regards
    Tony

ah, so the roller base is inclined to prevent the tank from walking off, at least this is how I see it. I'd prefer a model that was level and had rolling guides on each end to prevent walk off. This way one cld have the tank level, and if there was a somewhat eccentric wheel, that should help with agitation. The price is great and if it worked with Expert drums, I'd buy.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    The price is great and if it worked with Expert drums, I'd buy.
    It does.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    It does.
    Neil
    the lack of levelness concerns me...
    notch codes ? I only use one film...