Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Commercial Ektar 12" coverage?

Re: Commercial Ektar 12" coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    hmm, I'm confused now. If it has only 53 degrees of coverage wide open, if my math is correct, then it only has an 11.97" image circle at 6.3, which is different than the 380mm listed by that site, and 11.97" is less than the diagonal of 8x10 (12.8")... have any of you with this lens focused at infinity with it?
    I can assure you that the 12" Ektar easily covers 8X10 wide open. I shoot wet plate with it and often use it wide open, or stopped down only to f8. I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams that you will find this lens in any way inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I can assure you that the 12" Ektar easily covers 8X10 wide open. I shoot wet plate with it and often use it wide open, or stopped down only to f8. I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams that you will find this lens in any way inadequate.
    alright, thank you! Do any of you know of a reliable database for specs of these types of lenses? Different sites I find seem to list different specs, so it would be nice to have a good source to look at without having to bother you guys.

For Ektars, see the link in post #3 above.

I see that you're a relatively new arrival here. You may not be aware of this site's resources, which include FAQs on this forum's parent largeformatphotography.info

There's also "the list." To access it, click on the link in the first post in this https://www.largeformatphotography.i...mainly)-lenses discussion.

If you want a single list of all the world's lenses with as much information as anyone could want, you're out of luck. However, sources in the list would be a good starting point for anyone wanting to compile such a list. As they say, if you want to read it, write it.

Les

Lenses in general are optimized for F16-22 and that fits the large image circle. Although I have this 12", I'm using it on 5x7 and; therefore, no comparison.....and can't comment.

Les

There's also this Kodak publication, describing a number of the Ektar (and other) lenses, with coverage information.

Drew Wiley

That's a 1951 publication. Commercial Ektars were in production well after that, so some things might have changed.

I believe that Kodak's LF lenses used the same prescriptions from the time of the first Eastman Ektars (c.1940) through the end of production, c.1967. I remember asking the old-timer optics guys at Kodak about that, when I was a newbie at Kodak and the optics manufacturing was still at Hawkeye. (I also remember talking with an optical engineer I knew there- I'd gone to grade school with him- and he told me that there was no way Kodak could make those lenses in the 1980s and still turn a profit.)
    During the years I worked there I used a number of different Ektars... none were any different than those seen out in the world, and they were all more than good enough.
    To the OP, a 12" Ektar is a fine lens. Get one in good shape and you won't be disappointed!

The 12" f6.3 Kodak Commercial Ektar was specifically designed for 8x10 film. This is based on published Kodak literature, my own experience (have several 12" Commercial Ektars in shutter and in barrel and the f4.5 version) and the experience of many others here that image circle coverage for 8x10 is not an issue at f6.3 and stopped down.

I'm curious as to which web pages were used that provided the mis-information of --12" Commercial Ektar-- does not cover or not enough coverage for 8x10?

Why and how has trust and acceptance of what has been found on the web projecting the 12" Commercial Ektar does not cover 8x10 appears to have become a belief (individual acceptance as fact and truth) when the official and REAL Kodak literature and experience of those who have used the 12" Commercial Ektar on 8x10 be less valid than what has been found on the web?
    *** Really Important Question here***

As for optimum taking aperture about two f-stops down or f11_ish, this is NOT the same as a modern plasmat which is designed for f22 or f16 to f32. Know taking image quality is GOOD even at f6.3 long as the camera is accurate-stable-precise-stable and the film is flat which is IMO a serious problem with 8x10.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    alright, thank you! Do any of you know of a reliable database for specs of these types of lenses? Different sites I find seem to list different specs, so it would be nice to have a good source to look at without having to bother you guys.
    Last edited by Bernice Loui; 2-Jul-2019 at 22:29.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Amen.

Second question for OP would be, this 8x10 view camera the first view camera?

Bernice